Festool Domino and cross grain joints
Hello All,
Building another set trestle bases for dining table with  a single support column per trestle. Using walnut for box construction of columns to simulate solid block of wood. The bottom and tops of the column supports will be dominoed into the horizontal pedestal foot  and the corresponding upper horizontal member that supports the table. Column cross section dimensions are 4"x6". My concern is wood splitting at either end of the column, since the joint is cross grain,  if I were to place dominoes along the full 6" joint where it attaches the the horizontal pedestal(or upper member) versus a few dominoes gathered in the middle third of the 6". The column is constructed with dominoes all along the length of the joint since it is long grain to long grain.
The table is heavy and am building new trestles with dominoes this time as the previous method using screws loosened up.
Hope this was coherent.
Thanks in advance for your guidance.
So the max cross grain span is 6"? I wouldn't worry about it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I probably wouldn't worry about it either, but it would be pretty simple to "breadboard" the horizontal member by gluing both tenons in the center and creating expansion joints (via the next width setting) and only gluing one side. I've done similar things with the Domino for breadboard ends up to about 22" wide and it's always worked fine.
Thank you both for your solutions. Two ways to go and either one will resolve my concerns, can't get better advice than that!