When you can't get the top off your Tru-Oil bottle
because of the "child-proof" cap, you can just do what I did a few years ago...Drill a small hole in the center of the cap, squeeze out what you need and insert a sheet metal screw back in the hole to seal it...has worked for me for about three years now...Use a larger screw if necessary...

[Image: fullsizeoutput-e43.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-e46.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

That certainly works. However, in case you didn't know, the childproof caps are actually two caps in one. When you press down on the outer cap it has teeth that engage the inner one so they can be screwed off together. When they get gunked up and no longer engage, you can cut the outer cap off and just use the inner one. I will often do that from the get-go so that I don't have to mess with it again.
Good info, thanks guys. Those caps are a total PITA.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(10-10-2020, 08:25 PM)Willyou Wrote: That certainly works. However, in case you didn't know, the childproof caps are actually two caps in one. When you press down on the outer cap it has teeth that engage the inner one so they can be screwed off together. When they get gunked up and no longer engage, you can cut the outer cap off and just use the inner one. I will often do that from the get-go so that I don't have to mess with it again.

I never thought about cutting the outer cap off...it may be a better option, but I only use a very small amount at a time so drilling works well for me. And with my luck, I would probably cut into the inner cap while trying to saw the outer cap off...
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-10-2020, 08:25 PM)Willyou Wrote: I will often do that from the get-go so that I don't have to mess with it again.

That's the first thing I do with all the adult hindrance (child proof) caps.

I chuck the offending cap a in vise on edge leaving half the cap exposed.
Then with an old chisel, I lay the chisel on the vise and line up the chisel with the offending exterior cap, whack with a hammer.
Repeat on the other side, then you can lay the exposed exterior cap back and remove the interior cap unharmed.

On metal cans you can usually just pry the suckers off.
I think that's a clever solution.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.