A case for a few chisels
Had a batch..needed a place to stash them....had a few pieces of Poplar leftovers, needing something to do..
Rolleyes

And..

But, all the tools had been put away....time to go.."Shopping"
Winkgrin  

Well..I need that mallet...and

A couple gauges....and..

A few squares, and a marking knife....and, maybe a saw?

Might have a use for one of the coping saw?  But..

That Disston No. 68 will do, for now...spread the mess out on the bench ( that I had just cleared off...)

Needed to set up a work light...right where I can see what I'm doing...
Rolleyes

Just "clipped" to the bandsaw...can swing the lamp around to see things on the bandsaw, too 

Need the shop stool, so I can sit down while I work....

Plan is to use through dovetails in the corners.   Then a groove for the top and bottom panels, then saw of the lid.
That will be in the next episode....or three...
Winkgrin  IF nobody minds
Confused 

Stay tuned  
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
One of the ends pieces wasn't quite square on one end...we have ways...

Marking gauge work...

Laying out a few lines..

Lay out the pins, first, of course.
Rolleyes

Bevel gauge to set the angle.  Start with half pins on the outside edges,  and work towards the center...

Then lay out a few saw lines to cut, on both faces..

Lower the board down into the vise, and saw the lines.   Lines are merely a guide....Can either split, leave on either side of the line....as the tails will be laid out, using these pins..

Set  up a chopping block, select a few chisels...

Deepen the knife wall a bit, chop down halfway on the show face of the board, then flip over and complete the chopping..

IF need be, use the coping saw as a rasp..

To clean off any little nubs in between the pins...nice and flat....

Pins done...stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Ok, next..tails.   Use the pins to lay out the tails, by standing the pin board straight up on the tail board.   Make sure the directions of the two are correct...don't want anything backwards
Rolleyes  VOE
Confused

I also mark which face is the INSIDE, and number each half of the joint...so that side #1 does not hook up with End #2....Bandsaw to make a lot of cuts, as I am not that good at cutting a angled line...bandsaw, I can SEE the lines better, and control where the cut is going...

Cut on the waste side of the lines, leaving the lines...or, at least as much as I can....bandsaw and I don't always see the same line..
Rolleyes   The more cuts, the easier to remove the waste..

Knife wall, then back on the chopping block, chop half way down on the show face first..then flip over and complete the chops..

Again...coping or small rasp to clean things up....at least enough for a dry fit..

then, transfer the spacings to the other ends, and repeat for the other 3 corners...had one loose corner, didn't leave the lines..
No

Hate when that happens....on the LAST corner...was getting close to quitting time thing.   spent about 3 hours in the shop...
Laid out the chisels that will call this box home...
Cool 

might work out?   Tomorrow?   Dig the Stanley 45 out of it's box, and set up to get..Groovy...
Rolleyes

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Box for the Stanley 45...

Some assembly required..
Rolleyes

Lots of parts..

Finally, we are ready to go?
Confused   

Not quite, need a jig...to hold the parts still, long enough to make a groove..
Cool 

Nothing real complicated, just so I can change parts out as easy  as I can...and not have the plane hit anything...

This can get to be rather fun.   Each box side gets two grooves...one for a bottom panel, one for the top panel..

Groovy!  Time to change the jig a bit, as the box sides are a little longer than the ends I just finished..

This does get to be fun..
Winkgrin 

But, all too soon....
Rolleyes  

The party is over....next up?    Need 2 plywood panels made...

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Looks like a tight fit.  How are you going to keep the blades away from the neighboring handles?
Thinking about turning those chisels on edge, and adding dividers between them..

First, I need to saw the lid off of the box....and go from there...

And maybe a bar across right at the bolsters.....
The plywood adventure....
Marked out for 2 plywood panels...
Rolleyes 

And, used the framer's square to lay out where to cut....then off to the bandsaw...and try to cut a straight line...
Rolleyes

Came close.    Then a dry fit of all the parts, and to see IF the plywood was the right size..

Well, they were the right length, but..

They were a hair too wide...clamp them together in the vise...and slim them down..
Cool

Plane is a Millers Falls No. 11, Junior Jack...back to the dry fit..

Wanted to lay out how much lid I could get, and still miss the handles...then mark it on the sides at the corners...where the cut will go..

Then go through, and mark each part as to "top" or "bottom"...helps during a glue up...
Winkgrin

Which is what happened....let this sit a day....8 clamps too many?
Rolleyes

Stay tuned...Monday in the shop, will involve these toys..

And a Stanley No. 4, type 10 smooth plane...
Ok, box came out of the clamps yesterday....Needing 4 square holes  plugged with square pegs.   Sides needing a bit of handplane work...couple pins and tails wanted to stand proud..

had found the mark I needed to saw to.   Set the marking gauge to that, along with the combo square....so a pencil could darken the lines..I also deepen the line with the knife.

There was some talk about longer/larger saws....most were a bit hard to start, and wanted to wobble a bit...Old No.4 was still put away....so....the Bishop No. 10 was re-arranged a bit

The coarse teeth were swapped for the 15ppi finer teeth.   The bar was raise to about half way up the plate.    Reason here, is to better cut in at the corners, first..

I cut the corners first, then "lay the saw down" until the end was cut through....got the ends done first..then..

But, I do not saw all the way through on the sides, I leave a little tab down inside...flip over, and do the other long side.  Then the utility knife was run along the cut...slicing off the lid..

The reason for the knife cut....to keep the kerf open in the vise...I checked the fit between the two parts...a bit of a couple high spots..

And I wanted to remove the saw marks....and that pile of saw dust...so

The Stanley No. 4, Type 10 was used to plane both parts flat.  then re-check the fit...looking for any high spots...
Cool

And that was it...it was a Monday, anyway...best not too press my luck
Uhoh

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Ha! When I first read the subject of this post, I thought you were making the case for owning/using a few chisels, like Chris Schwartz's "chisel monogamy" philosophy. I now see that you are making a case for a few chisels! Nice case: I could use one of those!
Ok, did a little more today, than I planned on.....shoulders were still sore.   I was going to take the day off....yeah, right..

Was in the shop, to bring the trashcan full of scraps and shavings up to the firepit.....got to looking at the box's fit to the lid.....gave both a little more shaving, here and there, trying for a better fit....I also was checking through the stash of hardware....to see what I could use.....next thing I know....
Rolleyes

Hinges were installed....ok....might as well see what sort of latch I can use..

I guess that will do....then was thinking about handles on the ends....package was opened....but, they were to be nailed on?   Ah...

Nope, we have screws to use....then, decided to see how to fit the chisels into the box.....wound up ripping, cutting, fitting, and gluing things into the box...
Cool

And, even gain a spot for another chisel!   8 is enough, right?
Winkgrin 

So, if the back and shoulders feel better tomorrow..maybe I can start on a finish?

Stay tuned
Winkgrin