A case for a few chisels
(10-13-2020, 10:35 PM)bandit571 Wrote:   8 is enough, right?

That's what the old 80's TV show used to say.

The box is looking good, but you might have a problem with all the other boxless chisels in your collection now.  They will want one too.
Today's tasks:   round-over the lid's square edges....with handtools....ooooo-kay....
Rolleyes

Nice square edges....a Stanley No. 9-1/2 block plane, and the only gouge the shop has....1" wide?   Block plane can round the outside edges well enough..

Just a few passes, tilting the plane out, until the round-over shows up.....maybe sand the milling marks?   The inside?

Same as with the plane, a few passes ( watch the direction of the grain!) tilting the gouge until the edge has a nice round shape....the other chisel?

Use to clean up at the corners..
Cool

Then sand away the milling marks.   Block plane also found a few high spots, and took care of those.   Now, the entire time this was going on...those chisels were still INSIDE the box!

So dumped the chisels out, once the padding was installed.   There is a bar under the padding, that goes across the chisels' bolsters....The reason I then removed the chisels, besides adding to "keepers" at the ends of the padding....was to stain the entire inside....didn't want to get any ON the chisels. after all..

Then, close the lid, and stain the rest of the box...top to bottom..

Back, and..

And the ends..

Will let this dry for at least a day...before any top coat goes on....waited about 10 minutes, then wiped the stain down....

Stay tuned, almost done..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Nice job. Personally I've never felt the need for a chisel box, they hang in my tool cabinet.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have others hanging in my Tool Cabinet, too....along with a rack along the back edge of the bench, that holds all the read-use chisels..
Cool

Chisel Box is just to set a better set of my older chisels into something a little better, than just rolling around in some dank, dusty drawer....
No

waiting on the top coat to dry, today.....may take all day....kind of cool down in the shop, today.....still waiting on the Furnace to get replaced...hopefully later today...chance of frost tonight...down into the LOW 30s. 
Upset

Will post when it is finished...IF anyone wants...
Rolleyes
I have a nice (to me anyway) set of Japanese chisels I keep in the box. They were given to me so they may be just a junk set for all I know. I just like them and I like the box and them in the box, so there they stay. After I use them, back they go. It's all personal preference.
Just a few photos....top coat has been rubbed down...

Top of the lid..

A look at the front..

The hinge side..

Handle end, showing the through dovetails, and where the cut line went through..

And, the all important inside views....
Cool

May have to build a couple more boxes?    
Winkgrin