Future Son-in-Law's table
Alex is marrying my youngest daughter in three months.  He asked me to assist as he built a dining room table for their home from Easter Red Cedar that he had a sawyer mill up for him.  He's finished with it now, and posted with his permission...

There's a lot of visual interest in the piece, including colored epoxy filling some voids.  

Alex ordered up the legs from an online source; they're heavy-gauge steel.  I must say I'm in awe of those legs.  They add a contemporary look to the table.  I guess you could say I'm a "leg man."  
Laugh

We planed the rough stock to get it close and then had to make and use a sled and router for flattening.  I've never done that before, and Alex's training as a civil engineer paid off as he understood the geometry to get that all "close enough".

I also give Alex credit for "listening" to the wood.  He had to adjust his original design as the cedar proved too soft and tearout-prone for his original thoughts on edge treatments.  Since he's an engineer who specializes in highway projects, he fully understands the need for flexibility during execution.

Alex has the patience for finishing the piece.  I get impatient when it's time to finish.  The table was sanded to 220, the epoxy fills were polished to micro-mesh 12000. Final finish is several coats of Arm-R-Seal.

Alex's main interest is hunting and fishing, but I'm gonna turn that young man into a woodworker yet....
Very nice table.  I enjoy working with engineers, they really want to "get it right".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
There's nothing wrong with a hunter/fisherman, but the table is quite nice. Is that a piece of glass on it? If yes, that sucker must be heavy.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-11-2020, 08:00 AM)fredhargis Wrote: There's nothing wrong with a hunter/fisherman, but the table is quite nice. Is that a piece of glass on it? If yes, that sucker must be heavy.

It's a single piece of glass.  Two-person lift to be able to handle it safely.

Daughter and future SIL went over to Des Moines to pick up some new furniture for the house.  They borrowed my utility trailer to haul it back.  We met for breakfast and to transfer trailer from my truck to his.  Over breakfast, I mentioned the Woodsmith store on the west side of town.  Turns out the store they went to is only a mile from Woodsmith.  Got a text from my daughter that future SIL "just had to stop" in and look around since they were so close.

Almost have that hook set...
(10-11-2020, 04:50 PM)WxMan Wrote: Almost have that hook set...

There's always some down time between the two seasons (hunting and fishing), so maybe the two of you can tackle some simple project for their house.
Very nice table.

Where is the leg shot........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

That is very nice. Great job all around. I think the legs work well with the overall look.
Cedar is not always easy to work with and patience is often required.

You better be careful, that hunting/fishing could get you some new hobbies/interests 
Big Grin
(10-11-2020, 06:10 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote:  There's always some down time between the two seasons (hunting and fishing), so maybe the two of you can tackle some simple project for their house.

(10-11-2020, 06:56 PM)wood-chips Wrote: That is very nice. Great job all around. I think the legs work well with the overall look.
Cedar is not always easy to work with and patience is often required.

You better be careful, that hunting/fishing could get you some new hobbies/interests 
Big Grin

I'm already a fisherman, though I don't go as often as I'd like.  My next trip is in November; fly-fishing for trout in Missouri.

I have hunted before, but I'm not real keen on freezing my backside waiting for something to come along.  I'd rather be in my warm shop enjoying a cup of hot coffee on those cold late fall/winter mornings.  I'll help friends cut up some of the harvest, and I'm given some in return.  I have elk, deer, and pheasant in the freezer right now.

I'm building a bedroom suite for them now.  Large dresser, headboard, nightstands, and full length mirror.

Got to hand it to Alex, though.  He's certainly not an idle person.  Has his civil engineering career going well, he often works with his uncle on weekends doing construction remodeling/decks (he put himself through college hanging drywall), he hunts in three seasons and fishes in the fourth, and he's doing a nice job fixing up the house.  I've built a couple pieces for their house, and now the bedroom suite.

Oh, and now, Alex and his cousin are hatching a plan to get a sawmill operation up and running.  They managed to get hold of an Alaska Chain Saw Mill and a couple appropriately large Stihl chainsaws.
That looks really nice. With Cedar being so soft, I think the glass top is a smart move.

Where did he get the legs for it? I'm planning a new computer table with a Walnut slab top and those legs may be just what I'm looking for.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(10-14-2020, 08:04 AM)sniper Wrote: That looks really nice.  With Cedar being so soft, I think the glass top is a smart move.

Where did he get the legs for it?  I'm planning a new computer table with a Walnut slab top and those legs may be just what I'm looking for.

Linky

I went out to that page and there are some customer pics that look fairly interesting.

I do know that legs are heavy duty and the welds were nicely finished.  The legs also have levelers incorporated into the bottom of each leg.