How to prevent stuck garden hose?
This summer I found the hose the previous owner left connected to the spigot fused on. I needed to use a Dremel to cut a groove on the hose end and then break it off the spigot with a flat screwdriver and hammer. I then replaced the hose with my own hose which I also found to be fused on yesterday just 2 months later. I needed to use some channel locks to twist it off.

The house is on a well and the water is treated by a softener. I didn't see any mineral build up on the threads.

As we're about to turn the house over to a renter, I don't want this to be an issue down the road.

Is there something I can coat the spigot threads with to help prevent this?

Thanks
Paul
Quick connect adapter.
I'd try plumber's grease.
Is the faucet cast iron or aluminum? Or plated brass? Or brass plating? Sounds like dissimilar metal corrosion.

If it were mine and going to a rental, I'd install an solid brass adapter---like the kind that has two connections That way the hose connects to solid brass. A possible gotcha there is the renter leaving one side open and you paying a huge water bill, not to mention foundation soaking damage.
(10-11-2020, 10:08 PM)dwg Wrote: I'd try plumber's grease.

+1

Not sure why it's binding. Maybe the spigot threads are toast or out of round?
Agree with Mack. Put one of those splitters on it just so you know the hose is screwed to a new/round threads.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-11-2020, 10:51 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Is the faucet cast iron or aluminum? Or plated brass? Or brass plating? Sounds like dissimilar metal corrosion.

If it were mine and going to a rental, I'd install an solid brass adapter---like the kind that has two connections That way the hose connects to solid brass. A possible gotcha there is the renter leaving one side open and you paying a huge water bill, not to mention foundation soaking damage.

+1 I have seen this where an aluminum end on the hose or on a nozzle connects to a brass fitting.   Try never seize on the threads or get all brass parts.   Roly
Buy hoses with brass ends. The aluminum ones will corrode and lock on forever.
PTFE pipe tape ought to do the trick.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
Is it possible this could be an electrolysis issue?  Perhaps there's voltage leaking from something that's grounded to the water pipes.  Just a thought.