biscuit cutters pros and cons
Twenty years ago biscuit cutters were all the rage.  I bought a very nice one but had issues using the adjustable fence.  I recently watched a video showing ways to just use the base plate to register the slots.  I dug out my biscuit cutter last night and made the required jig.

Is anyone still using their biscuit cutter?  Any tips?  Any warnings?

Thanks,

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-12-2020, 07:24 AM)Cooler Wrote: Twenty years ago biscuit cutters were all the rage.  I bought a very nice one but had issues using the adjustable fence.  I recently watched a video showing ways to just use the base plate to register the slots.  I dug out my biscuit cutter last night and made the required jig.

Is anyone still using their biscuit cutter?  Any tips?  Any warnings?

Thanks,

Cooler
I use mine from time to time both in the shop and onsite.   If you have a good one with a good fence (lamello, DeWalt or the 2nd gen porter cable ) then issues are all user created.  

I can also say that quality biscuits yield less frustration. Again , Lamello wins the day.  The price isn’t too bad if you buy them in bulk , but you’ll cringe at the price of hobbyisT size packs compared to the ones at the home center.
I use my plate joiner primarily for 45 degree miter joints and I made a jog to hold the joiner and the workpiece.

I have used the joiner for long board glue ups but find them to be a little sloppy in holding the boards aligned which equates to more scraping and sanding than I want.

For long board glue is I find dowels have tighter tolerances and can handle the lateral pressure from the clamps.

My personal opinion is the plate joiner is past its prime unless you are putting in hidden fasteners on deck boards. The Festool Dominos introduction and dowels are still used for many furniture designs and RTA pieces and are better options for many applications.
I use mine frequently, and find that over time it's earned it's keep. I did switch to Lamello biscuits which made life a little simpler.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a Domino, but still use the biscuit cutter fairly frequently.

I've found with both, I get better results when I keep the fence folded up and register everything off the table.

I've found the Domino isn't the end all for alignment I thought it would be.  I've tried every which way to hold it while plunging, and even with maximum pressure down on the fence plate, I never seem to get the perfect flush joints I thought you should get with  $700 tool.

I think the Domino plate made by Seneca is probably the best way to go.

Of course, this requires flipping the board upside down, so you have to carry the marks to the other side.
I have DeWalt biscuit joiner I bought probably16 years ago. I think it's been used more by friends of mine than by me and I still have the container of biscuits I got the same day as I got the joiner.
I've had a biscuit joiner for around 25 years and have used 1000's of biscuits with it. If I were starting out today I'd suck it up and get a Domino but I've never regretted buying a biscuit joiner or the one I bought.  I've made dozens of cabinets, architectural elements and glued up moldings with it and continue to use it regularly.  For the $200 or so I paid for it it's been one of the best woodworking investments I've made.  

John
I use mine on a regular basis when I do any boards longer than 2 feet.  I know there are ways to make sure boards are align well without one but i find them easier and quicker.  I can't remember if I have ever used one on a 90 dg corner - that usually a rabbet.   I do use them on mitered corners. 

I have 2 cutters - a regular size and the mini.  The mini is nice for the smaller stuff of course.  I make a Noah's ark that has some joints that call for them - I use to use splines but the biscuits are easier.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Ok to use it to align or for small boxes. I sold mine and bought the small domino (which is sawdust free)...have never looked back since. 

Simon
I've owned a Dewalt Biscuit joiner for years and have gone through a few boxes of biscuits of various sizes.  I typically use biscuits or a glue joint cutter in the shaper when making wider boards.  In fact I used the biscuit joiner just a couple of days ago joining some boards.  I don't have a Domino and don't see a need for one at this time, that could change over time but not now.
 In using biscuits, I'll either register the wood by fence or sitting it down on the work bench.  It's a useful and often used tool in my shop.