biscuit cutters pros and cons
(10-12-2020, 07:56 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Ok to use it to align or for small boxes. I sold mine and bought the small domino (which is sawdust free)...have never looked back since. 

Simon

The good biscuit joiners are also sawdust free when used with a vac. 

And were so long before domino was invented. 

Domino has its place , but doesn’t entirely replace a biscuit jointer in my work. Especially in the field and when speed is a factor.
I purchased a Domino 500 to build a whole lot of kitchen frame-and-panel doors about 3 years ago. It did a great job. It will get used again when I redo the bathrooms. This is not the type of joinery I favour for furniture.

I also have a DeWalt biscuit joiner. Excellent tool. Biscuits are different to dominos. One is tall and narrow, and makes a decently strong mortice-and-tenon joint. The other is shallow and long, less strong in the vertical, but makes a decent spline for mitres.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(10-13-2020, 05:34 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: This is not the type of joinery I favour for furniture.

Derek

Any particular reasons for that (assuming only using handcut joinery isn't the reason)?

Simon
(10-12-2020, 07:24 AM)Cooler Wrote: Twenty years ago biscuit cutters were all the rage.  I bought a very nice one but had issues using the adjustable fence.  I recently watched a video showing ways to just use the base plate to register the slots.  I dug out my biscuit cutter last night and made the required jig.

Is anyone still using their biscuit cutter?  Any tips?  Any warnings?

Thanks,

Cooler

Once I had my Domino for a few months I drove to Habitat and donated 2 Porter Cable biscuit joiners. After Festool started shipping the 4mm size I drove back and donated a Ryobi mini biscuit joiner.

I still have my mortiser and tenoning jig, but they only get used occasionally.  I'm a hobbyist, just doing this for fun. So, my tool purchases don't need to be rational. 
Smile

--
See ya later,
Bill
Been using a mini biscuit joiner for years. First one was a Craftsman, which I dropped and broke. Sears outa biz, so bit the biscuit and bought a Ryobi(Craftsman clone). Uses P1, P2, and P3 sizes(P3 being about 3/4" long). I use them for alignment when joining picture frames for assembly. 

Have a DeWalt large joiner as well---never had a problem with adjustments or operation. Used mainly in assembling large boards(deck landings/etc.) to minimize unlevel joints. The biscuit does not add much joint strength, but sure helps alignments.

Have jars of 100(three sizes) on the shelf
(10-13-2020, 10:50 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Been using a mini biscuit joiner for years. First one was a Craftsman, which I dropped and broke. Sears outa biz, so bit the biscuit and bought a Ryobi(Craftsman clone). Uses P1, P2, and P3 sizes(P3 being about 3/4" long). I use them for alignment when joining picture frames for assembly. 

Have a DeWalt large joiner as well---never had a problem with adjustments or operation. Used mainly in assembling large boards(deck landings/etc.) to minimize unlevel joints. The biscuit does not add much joint strength, but sure helps alignments.

Have jars of 100(three sizes) on the shelf

I learned to keep the jars tightly closed in my damp basement.  The biscuits would swell from the moisture and get hard to install.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-13-2020, 02:11 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Any particular reasons for that (assuming only using handcut joinery isn't the reason)?

Simon

Simon, traditional joinery (whether hand cut or by machine) has the advantage of being tailored (in design and size) to the workpiece. Further, it can be repaired (assuming you are using a glue such as hide). Mortice and tenon joints, when drawbored, are stronger and tighter than anything one might make with a Domino.  

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(10-12-2020, 07:24 AM)Cooler Wrote: Twenty years ago biscuit cutters were all the rage.  I bought a very nice one but had issues using the adjustable fence.  I recently watched a video showing ways to just use the base plate to register the slots.  I dug out my biscuit cutter last night and made the required jig.

Is anyone still using their biscuit cutter?  Any tips?  Any warnings?

Thanks,

Cooler

I had one for a dozen years.  I sold it over ten years ago.  It was not needed in my shop.  If I need to keep something aligned that clamps would hold I just use my trusty doweling jig.
WoodNET... the new safespace
My understanding of the history of biscuits is that they were invented (by Lamello I think) post WWII for use with sheet goods to help rebuild Europe's cabinetry. I used to use them with solid wood, seldom do anymore. They still work well with 3/4"/18mm sheet goods IME.
I have both the Porter Cable and a Delta benchtop.  I use them regularly, particularly for casegoods such as bookcases.  No, they are not as strong as a Domino, but they are a fraction of the cost and usually "strong enough for the job required."  I use them for butt and miter joints.   I do not use them for edge gluing as believe they are unnecessary.   Most people who claim "for alignment only" are probably thinking of edge joints and dismiss them.

I also have a Beadlock system from Rockler.  I call this the "Poor Man's Domino."   It is slower, but works well and less expensive and makes a stronger floating tenon joint.  Unless my volume really increased or had a super major project,  I'd never get an ROI on a Domino.

I, too, like the Lamello disks.  I use some Porter Cable for less-demanding jobs.   I also got some from Midwest / Atlas Dowel Co. (A sister company to McFeely's) and to my surprise, they were plywood.  They seem strong, but I'm still experimenting with them.