How to attach?
(10-13-2020, 09:50 AM)jussi Wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll take them all under consideration.  Right now I’m leaning towards using the double dominos for alignment (and partial strength they have a max depth of 2-3/4”) and drilling hole straight down for a rod/bolt

No harm using a rod or bolt, though not necessary and just extra work in my view. The cross bars on the top of the headers will provide the necessary anti-racking strength for the whole structure.

Search Festool Domino XL balcony build to see a youtube on how strong a structure the domino 700 can handle. 2-3/4" is a lot as it's on each side, making almost a 6" span. No wind force can break a properly executed 4 domino-joint without first breaking the main body of the joint first. The thing you're going to build is exactly why people would want a domino 700. 

Simon
(10-13-2020, 03:38 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The cross bars on the top of the headers will provide the necessary anti-racking strength for the whole structure.

Simon

I disagree completely.  Unless the posts are buried into the ground anyone could come up and push this design sideways, even with a bolt as the connection between the top joists to the post is a hinge point in this design.

Typically there is a lap between the post and the joist.  This design is simply a butt joint.  No racking strength at all. 

Maybe the OP is going to cement in the post so they stand self supported.  if not, then its a poor weak design and thus why I suggested a steel plate T embedded into the lumber to provide racking strength.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(10-14-2020, 09:22 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Unless the posts are buried into the ground

The posts are not buried?!!!

I have never come across such a large outdoor wooden structure that's not secured to the ground in some way.

Now, if the structure is indeed cemented or bolted to the ground, do you agree that the crossbars would be good enough for anti-racking?

Or anyone else here assume it's a free-standing structure? I'd certainly not want to be anywhere close to that thing on a very windy day no matter how structurally strong it's engineered and built.

Simon
Not sure about the arbor in the pic (only top part was visible) but I had planned to bury the posts in concrete.
(10-14-2020, 01:50 PM)jussi Wrote: Not sure about the arbor in the pic (only top part was visible) but I had planned to bury the posts in concrete.

Then it wont rack sideways.  The top connection could be bolts and biscuits if you like.
WoodNET... the new safespace