Hardwood Floors
what is the opinion on HW floor material where pet urine is an issue? The laminate floor I currently have is toast.

Jim
Jim
(10-13-2020, 08:46 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: what is the opinion on HW floor material where pet urine is an issue? The laminate floor I currently have is toast.

Jim

Luxury vinyl would be my first choice. 

If it is a big dog, traction on any flooring will be an issue as too slippery a floor can be rough on dogs' hips. 

The vinyl floors I have seen seem to have better traction.  They are 100% waterproof. 

There is a new type that is held down using a magnetic underlayment.  It allows you to remove the floor and replace it as often as you want.  So, if necessary it can be taken outdoors and hosed off and allowed to dry in sun.  (Sunlight is a great deodorizer.)

https://www.metroflorusa.com/Attraxion.aspx

https://www.georgiacarpet.com/blog/magne...ng-is-new/

In any event, luxury vinyl flooring is the most durable floor (other than porcellain) that is available.  The better versions make a pretty convincing job of imitating real wood.

[Image: DN821823.jpg]

Worn Beige
Pattern: DN821823ATX
Saw Cut Embossing
Finish: FX3 Surface Protectant with Ultra-Fresh
Plank Size: 7" x 48" (177.8 x 1219.2 mm)
Warranty: Lifetime Residential / 15 Years Commercial
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-13-2020, 09:11 AM)Cooler Wrote: Luxury vinyl would be my first choice. 

If it is a big dog, traction on any flooring will be an issue as too slippery a floor can be rough on dogs' hips. 

The vinyl floors I have seen seem to have better traction.  They are 100% waterproof. 

There is a new type that is held down using a magnetic underlayment.  It allows you to remove the floor and replace it as often as you want.  So, if necessary it can be taken outdoors and hosed off and allowed to dry in sun.  (Sunlight is a great deodorizer.)

https://www.metroflorusa.com/Attraxion.aspx

https://www.georgiacarpet.com/blog/magne...ng-is-new/

In any event, luxury vinyl flooring is the most durable floor (other than porcellain) that is available.  The better versions make a pretty convincing job of imitating real wood.

[Image: DN821823.jpg]

Worn Beige
Pattern: DN821823ATX
Saw Cut Embossing
Finish: FX3 Surface Protectant with Ultra-Fresh
Plank Size: 7" x 48" (177.8 x 1219.2 mm)
Warranty: Lifetime Residential / 15 Years Commercial

Is this if you gotta ask the price you can't afford it? My experience with the damaged floor is that it's not the surface that lets the moisture in but between the planks where it seeps into the planking.
Jim
(10-13-2020, 09:36 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Is this if you gotta ask the price you can't afford it? My experience with the damaged floor is that it's not the surface that lets the moisture in but between the planks where it seeps into the planking.

The underlayment is a large sheet of rubberized magnetic material that is waterproof.  Properly installed it should make a waterproof barrier. 

Of course, having a housebroken dog is a better solution, but even dogs that have been housebroken their entire life may not be so in their old age, so being prepared is not a bad idea.

Also inexpensive area rugs (under $70.00 at big box stores) can be treated as consumable products with a  life expectancy of one year or so.  It offers the dog good traction, provides protection to the flooring and can be disposed of if it gets soiled or damaged.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-fl...-for-dogs/

Laminate flooring stands up against pet messes but has little traction.
An excellent choice for easy cleanup, laminate floors offer the beauty of hardwood with less maintenance. Homeowners won’t need to worry about letting moisture linger for too long on the surface, which is ideal for those with accident-prone or water-loving pets. Additionally, the durable surface of laminate resists scratches and scuffs. Laminate flooring’s only disadvantage is its slippery sleekness; fast-moving dogs may end up skidding across the room and hurting themselves. Consider choosing a laminate with a textured surface to provide more traction for Fido.

Luxury vinyl has many advantages for pet owners.
Nowadays, many manufacturers produce luxury vinyl planks that look remarkably similar to laminate or hardwood. The affordable option offers easy cleanup, high comfort for four-legged friends, resistance to scratches and stains, and minimal noise when walking across the surface. The single downside of luxury vinyl planks is that they may dull easily. Always make sure to choose flooring with a thick top layer and an aluminum oxide coating to ensure longevity and durability.

Stick with certain varieties of hardwood. 
Although hardwood floors are beautiful and classic, not all types hold up well in households with pets. Moisture can warp and destroy wood floors, making it critical to clean up pet-related messes immediately after they occur. Even so, some stains may absorb into the floor, necessitating costly refinishing or replacement. Hardwood floors also scratch easily; paws, pet toys, and water bowls can leave an ugly scuff mark on the surface. If you’re determined to incorporate hardwood floors into your home, opt for the hardest varieties, such maple, Brazilian walnut, and bamboo. Just remember to keep those claws trimmed and clear away messes ASAP.

Avoid carpeted flooring with pets.
Easily the toughest type of flooring for pet owners to clean, carpeting bears the burden of potty-training accidents, excessive shedding, and other messes. Carpet also harbors odors and stains that slowly build up over time, eventually causing your carpet to look and smell bad. The negatives of carpet will most likely outweigh the only positive: Pets love the comfortably soft surface. If you must choose a carpeted floor, opt one without loops (which snag on animal nails) and invest in a high-quality vacuum cleaner.
IMHO, anything that would absorb liquid would be a no-go in the situation you describe.  

Hardwood flooring, even the pre-finished kind, is normally not finished (sealed) on all sides.  Only the top surface.  Liquid will seep between the cracks and into the wood.  Witness what happens if a washing machine or dishwasher overflow.  Obviously, a leaky pet will not put that much down, but the odor associated with it is more pernicious.

Vinyl would be a better choice.  But you still have some seams in the plank-style.

Other than sheet vinyl (not most people's first choice), I don't know how you avoid the seams.
No offense to Bob Vila, but with hardwood, it's more about the finish and less about the wood. A good, penetrating finish (on all sides) that is durable will hold up to pet accidents. Dogs and cats have been urinating on wood floors since before clocks were invented. Also, as far as laminates go, not all laminates are created equal. I had water damage (fridge water line burst) and it totally destroyed the underside of all the laminate in the house, warping all the laminate boards. The underlayment is also a water magnet. You may want to consider a tile or ceramic floor. You can seal the grout and you'll be gold.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-13-2020, 11:44 AM)AHill Wrote: No offense to Bob Vila, but with hardwood, it's more about the finish and less about the wood.  A good, penetrating finish (on all sides) that is durable will hold up to pet accidents.  Dogs and cats have been urinating on wood floors since before clocks were invented.  Also, as far as laminates go, not all laminates are created equal.  I had water damage (fridge water line burst) and it totally destroyed the underside of all the laminate in the house, warping all the laminate boards.  The underlayment is also a water magnet.  You may want to consider a tile or ceramic floor.  You can seal the grout and you'll be gold.

I have solid 3/4"  Kempas (more or less like "Brazilian Cherry" in look and hardness) with the factory pre-finish, installed for the past 15 years in a house with multiple small dogs. 

They all have urinated and vomited on the floors at one time or another.. We clean up when it happens. I've not observed any real damage or issues to the wood or finish arising from this itself.. The obvious damage is to the finish from their nails etc..

My neighbor recently installed some luxury vinyl in his house with two large dogs. It seems to hold up well, but is not impervious to scratching either.
(10-13-2020, 08:46 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: what is the opinion on HW floor material where pet urine is an issue? The laminate floor I currently have is toast.

Jim

FWIW I've done some investigation into this and so far it looks like a Smartcore product might fit my needs and price range. Not done yet though

Jim
Jim
Take a look at Lumber liquidators house brands CoreLux ultra they have some impressive wear layer... 7mm/28 mills wear layer.
I have been real happy with mine.
LL linky
I am seeing 12 mill on that smartcore

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(10-14-2020, 08:14 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: Take a look at Lumber liquidators house brands CoreLux ultra they have some impressive wear layer... 7mm/28 mills wear layer.
I have been real happy with mine.
LL linky
I am seeing 12 mill on that smartcore
Will grout lines telegraph through this type of flooring?  Or do I need to strip off the old tile?