First Box Advice - Pictures
Hello All,

Please take a look at the link which has pictures of the box.

I am building my first decorative box and I need some advice. I planned on using my Keller jig to cut dovetails but the jig only works with 3/4" wood so I cut liters with splines. The wood is maple and the spines are some dark wood thaybi had lying around. I glued the top and then used my TS to remove it. I did not cut the whole way through the top to avoid the top moving as I made the final cut. I then used a hand saw to cut through the thin slice of wood and cleaned it up with sandpaper.

Per the pictures, you can see that the cut line is decent but not great. Also, the top has a burn in the upper right.

I was thinking of getting a piece of MDF and glueing a piece of 120 grit sandpaper to flatten the top and base. The sandpaper will also remove the burn on the top. Does this sound like the right thing to do? I would hate to ruin the cut line that was created by my TS.

I plan to connect the top to the box base with butt hinges. I was thinking of getting dark hinges to tie in with the splines. Anyone have a good source? My wood is 1/2" thick so in would think I need 3/4" long by 1" wide. Sound right?

Hopefully you can see the pictures in the link.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/WDc...kp2ON-Qp9G
You’re describing how I’ve done it, except I used a full sheet of 150 and 220. Even pressure kept the lid fitting tight with no gaps.

As far as hinges, good quality hinges make a big difference to me. Brusso hinges aren’t cheap, but they sell a series of stop hinges that are real nice, but you would have to chemically tarnish them to make them dark. If you want already dark hinges, Horton sells a pair of small box/clock hinges in different finishes. They do not have a built in stop, but you could possibly inset them and bevel the hinge side to create a stop If your sides are thick enough for the hinge width. Like this article shows at the end. https://whitechapel-ltd.com/box-hinges.
John
(10-13-2020, 10:35 AM)bpatters69 Wrote: I was thinking of getting a piece  of MDF and glueing a piece of 120 grit sandpaper to flatten the top and base. 

I set a sheet of sandpaper down on top of the tablesaw.
I make a lot of boxes, so i bought a 2' x 2' sheet of heavy glass and can glue sheets of sandpaper in the appropriate grit to that dead flat surface with spray adhesive.  I clamp the glass to my bench with the bench vise and dogs.  Works great.

I use piano hinges on heavier lids, but have gone with bronze hinges from Lee Valley or Rockler for some projects.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/har...yle-hinges
Good luck.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Thanks all. Great suggestions. My box is small so I don't need heavy duty hinges. I may just stop by Lowes to see if they have anything. I plan to use my table saw to cut out the slot for the hinges so I want a hinge that is 1/2" thick so the slot is covered or mostly covered. I watched a video of how to cut the slot on youtube. It looks pretty straightforward. I have a TS sled so I will place the box in the sled and make a series of passes to cut out the slot. The slot will cut through the top of the piece so hinges that are not 1/2" wide will not work.
For simple, I like these but don’t know if they’ll work in your application.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selection...e/50419378
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I do a lot of boxes and use a MDF board with 1 sheets of sandpaper to flatten. For hinges I use mostly piano hinges as they are cheap, but getting harder to find good quality ones.
Oh I hate mitered corners as I have a real problem getting them tight

Attached Files Image(s)