automotive - jumper cables vs. jumper packs
How well do they deal with being stored in a hot car?
VH07V  
This little bugger is the bomb

Read the reviews
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I’m seeing these lithium based devices can’t be shipped here. I guess they can’t be flown on planes....
VH07V  
(10-14-2020, 07:03 PM)mdhills Wrote: How often do you guys recharge them?
(I think I saw at least one recommendation for "every 6 months"?)
Is there any issue with the battery packs failing catastrophically?

Matt

Mine is fairly large.  It cost me around $100.  If it doesn't get used, I try to remember to recharge it at least every 4-6 months.  If I've used it, I obviously recharge it more often.

I've not had any problems with mine, so I'm not aware of any catastrophic failures.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(10-16-2020, 07:00 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Mine is fairly large.  It cost me around $100.  If it doesn't get used, I try to remember to recharge it at least every 4-6 months.  If I've used it, I obviously recharge it more often.

I've not had any problems with mine, so I'm not aware of any catastrophic failures.

There are two basic types of battery packs.  The older, heavier and larger ones are based on lead cell technology.  Those need fairly frequent re-charging.  And you store them in the trunk or cargo area of the car.

The newer type is lighter and smaller and are based on lithium ion technology.  Those need only very infrequent re-chargig.  And you can store these in your glove compartment.

So the question is, which type failed catastrophically?  The lead cell type or the lithium ion type?

I have a Weego brand jump starter, which was highly rated when I bought it.  It cost about $100.00.  I suspect that if the jump starter would not start the car, that it was either not fully charged, or it was too small a unit for the job.

Weego makes six or seven models ranging from 300 cranking amps to 600 cranking amps.  From $60.00 to $300.00.  You get what you pay for. 

Mine is rated at 440 cranking amps and has proven capable of starting a V-8 pickup truck (not mine; I was a good samaritan).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-15-2020, 05:39 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: This little bugger is the bomb

Read the reviews

It should be for $300.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
I'll stay with my cables. They don't go dead. Always ready to work.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-16-2020, 05:52 PM)messmaker Wrote: It should be for $300.

Well, it is 4000 amps. They make cheaper ones that will work fine for cars. The 1000 amp model is $99.00. Link
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-18-2020, 04:51 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Well, it is 4000 amps. They make cheaper ones that will work fine for cars. The 1000 amp model is $99.00. Link
I have a Weego unit (rated at 2000 max amp) and it cost about $100.00.  Weego also makes a 4000 amp model that costs $300.00 so that pricing seems fair to me. 

The smaller unit works fine for small block V-8s.  I have not tried it on larger engines.  But certainly enough for all 4 and 6 cylinder models.  But possibly (maybe even probably) the larger units would be needed for larger V-8s and certainly for larger diesels (especially in the winter).

I have AAA but the last time it took over an hour for them to arrive and it was 90 degrees outside.  So the ability to re-start my car seems worth the $100.00 amount. 

The same goes for a flat tire.  The tire inflator will get me to a repair shop that can repair a flat.  It is also more convenient for adding a few pounds of air to the tires.  So far the inflator has been more of a help to my co-workers than it has been for me.  But I never leave the house without the inflator and charger.

And the charger works without the assitance of a good samaritan.  And you can not always depend on outsiders for help. 

My co-worker bought one of the Weego 2000 amp units as a Christmas gift for her son who is an auto mechanic.   She reports he uses it for his road service calls and rarely uses jumper cables anymore.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-17-2020, 04:56 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I'll stay with my cables. They don't go dead. Always ready to work.

If you have someone near by but when I worked out of town lots of times I was the last to leave the job site and at the motels I would leave before most people were up.