automotive - jumper cables vs. jumper packs
(10-19-2020, 10:28 AM)fixtureman Wrote: If you have someone near by but when I worked out of town lots of times I was the last to leave the job site and at the motels I would leave before most people were up.

I would rather be self-sufficient too. 

I bought the battery pack for my niece.  It is a safety issue for women.  They are particularly vulnerable when asking strangers for help.  But men too are more vulnerable when they have to ask for help from strangers.  Most are not a problem; but since we cannot pull a background check in those situations, I think the battery pack (and tire inflator) are better (and safer) options.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I do carry both in each vehicle
My Tundra has a charge port in the center console.  The jump pack stays plugged in and gets topped off whenever the truck is running.

Like everyone else, the jump pack has helped others more than myself.  Plus it nice to be able to hand it to a coworker or neighbor after they get running and tell them to keep it with them til they get their battery checked.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
They work well but do your research before buying one. Generally if you find it in a retail store you DON"T want it. The ones sold retail are usually not very good quality. The Noco brand ones are sold everywhere and they do not fare well when tested against other brands and are generally overpriced.  Here is one video with some useful testing comparisons. 

The smaller jump starters don't work well with a completely dead battery though.

As for AAA... Well I have had good and bad with them. Seems they often have Bubba Bob show up and he doesn't have the tools required etc. 

One time I had a dead battery at home and the battery was just dead ad needed to be replaced. Called AAA and told them I needed a new battery. They said no problem. 2 hours pass by and nothing. I call them and then they say we will send someone to jump start it. I said I can do that I need a new battery. They still send out Bubba and he was cluless. I called AAA again and then they say I am outside their service area... Runny cause the next day I saw a AAA battery truck right down the street... 
        I like buying batteries from AAA because they come to you (usually) the battery was cheaper than the parts store and has a longer warranty. Lead acid batteries are stupid expensive considering that they are all made from recycled lead....

I bought a BoosterPac ES2500 (from NAPA I think 
Rolleyes), 900 peak amps.  It's the size of a small briefcase so not particularly compact.  It has a test button on it that indicates low, half charged or fully charged.  I use it mostly for running a pump to water my garden, but it cranked my 5.7L V-8 with no problem.  Running my little Jabsco pump, it holds a charge most of the summer.  I'll buy another one if this one ever gives up the ghost.
I bought battery packs for each of my kids when they went to college.  Only two of the for ever used them but it's a lot easier for them to use it then wait for help.   For some reasons the girls never had an issue with changing a tire - as soon as they opened the trunk and pulled out a jack some boy would stop to help.  Did i mention that there are all thin and blonde.  My son - he was on his own.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.