LEIGH RTJ400 Router Table Joinery Jig
I saw this jig advertised the other day and I thought this looked like a well thought out system.

Anyone have this jig and what are your impressions of it?  

Is it worth the asking price?  

Are there any limitations to this that one should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the info.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I have one and like it a lot. One important piece, though, is that your router table insert (the piece that holds a bushing) needs to be totally rigid. On my table it can shift back and forth under pressure, which means the dovetails end up loose.
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
(10-15-2020, 09:41 PM)abernat Wrote: I have one and like it a lot. One important piece, though, is that your router table insert (the piece that holds a bushing) needs to be totally rigid. On my table it can shift back and forth under pressure, which means the dovetails end up loose.

Thanks for that info aberrant!
I've had one since it first came out. It has never been used until this week, and in fact I tried selling it, but had no takers. I have hand cut my dovetails for a dozen and a half years, however, my arthritis (which is why I bought the jig in the first place) in my hands is worsening and to the point that chisel work has me in very bad pain.

I am building a desk for one of my daughters, and all drawers had hand-cut dovetails. I have the case carcass that also needed dovetails. Since all of these show, I want them perfect, and my practice cuts were lacking a bit. Hence I dug our the RTJ400. The hardest thing about the jig was understanding their terminology and instructions, which I think were overly complicated. The jig is very easy to set-up, and gave near perfect results, very quickly. Bear in mind, I spent a few hours practicing, but the results were worth it. Using this jig on a router table, makes it very precise, with the only drawback being identical spacing between tails. I did cut full tails, which are spaced further apart, and, quite frankly, do not look as machine cut (for spacing) that result from many other jigs.

Would I buy this particular jig again? Definitely yes, because in my case, the pain in my hands was limiting enjoying woodworking.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(10-16-2020, 09:41 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I've had one since it first came out.  It has never been used until this week, and in fact I tried selling it, but had no takers.  I have hand cut my dovetails for a dozen and a half years, however, my arthritis (which is why I bought the jig in the first place) in my hands is worsening and to the point that chisel work has me in very bad pain.

I am building a desk for one of my daughters, and all drawers had hand-cut dovetails.  I have the case carcass that also needed dovetails.  Since all of these show, I want them perfect, and my practice cuts were lacking a bit.  Hence I dug our the RTJ400.  The hardest thing about the jig was understanding their terminology and instructions, which I think were overly complicated.  The jig is very easy to set-up, and gave near perfect results, very quickly.  Bear in mind, I spent a few hours practicing, but the results were worth it.  Using this jig on a router table, makes it very precise, with the only drawback being identical spacing between tails.  I did cut full tails, which are spaced further apart, and, quite frankly, do not look as machine cut (for spacing) that result from many other jigs.

Would I buy this particular jig again?  Definitely yes, because in my case, the pain in my hands was limiting enjoying woodworking.

Tony,

Thank you for that response!   I too am dealing with a bit of Arthritis and that is why I am looking at this as an option for the shop.  

Thanks again!
John
Looks similar to the Keller dovetail jigs, which can also can be used on a router table.

https://www.kellerdovetail.com/
(10-18-2020, 12:06 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Looks similar to the Keller dovetail jigs, which can also can be used on a router table.

https://www.kellerdovetail.com/

It is similar, in its full through dovetail use, but has far more convenient & secure clamping and handling. I believe Leigh also offers a jig very similar to the Keller and same price.

With the Leigh, you get ability to do different dovetails and box joints.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com