Pre separator for central vacuum
Some months ago I installed a central vacuum system. My companion is an Australian Shepherd cross. Those familiar with Aussies know that they shed a LOT of hair. I'd used a Bissel bagless vacuum for vacuuming carpets but found that I'd normally have to take the vacuum outside and empty the canister at least two if not three or four times  to finish vacuuming the living/dining room area. Got a Riccar vacuum, which worked well, but was of course having to purchase/replace the bags frequently. I'd thought that the central vacuum cleaner would take care of those issues. However, I found that the central vacuum didn't take kindly to being fed dog hair. Some of it would make it all the way through the power unit and plug up the large bag. And then the screen in the unit just in front of the fan assembly would plug up, and I'd have to suction. I contacted the manufacturer of the power unit I was using, the CEO of the company replied that he appreciated the problem I was encountering, as he has two Labradors and has the same problem, that he didn't know of any filter units to put ahead of the power unit.  Having had good experience with my Oneida Dust Gorilla in the shop for the past many years, I tried ordering an Oneida Dust Deputy Deluxe unit and put it in the line ahead of the central vacuum power unit. I'd read reviews of the unit complaining about the size of the inlet and outlet connections not being compatible with shop vac hoses, but found that the flex hose supplied with the Dust Deputy slipped nicely onto the central vac piping and with band clamps made nice air-tight seals. I checked the drump under the Dust Deputy  after vacuuming living/dining room area and a bedroom, and found an impressive amount of dust and dog hair. Then I checked the canister for the central vacuum power unit and found no sign of any dust or hair. I sent an email accompanied with pictures to the CEO of the company that made the central vacuum power unit, he replied thanking me for the information and today sent me an email saying that he'd ordered a Dust Deputy for his own home.

Attached Files Image(s)

Growing up, a friend had Alaskan Malamutes and his mother spun the undercoat into yarn.

I calledl her Cruella.

Those dogs loved her, they would sit on her lap in summer on the porch, and she would brush them out.

Then she would give them each an ice cream treat.
Good idea. Needed that when I had Toby, he was a chow mix, never weighed more than 45lbs....looked like he went 80lbs with all the hair.

Ed
I did exactly the same thing with a Beam Central Vac. Mine was the all metal version with a 10 gallon tank. It worked really well. We have 2 constantly shedding Basset Hounds. Highly recommended!
We have an Aussy, and found that giving her Dynavite helps a lot in the shedding dept.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
We have a Corgi that seems to shed a new dog every 2-3 weeks. I have an older Budd Vac system in the house that is mounted to the ceiling in my storage room. Could you explain or show me how you connected the Dust Deputy to your central vacuum system? Thanks.
Wink 
A girlfriend of mine in the 1970s had a keeshond and her mother had a hand spinning wheel and would make yarn from the undercoat which was downy. 

[Image: d82bdeb430c814ff2a4ea705bcc7717a.jpg]

My house is a ranch house.  I am thinking of turning one of the kick plates  from a kitchen cabinet to accept a shop vac in the basement.  That way I can turn on the vac from upstairs and just sweep to the open kick area which would then get sucked into the basement shop vac.  It sounds like an easy thing to do.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-05-2020, 10:35 AM)pgriff Wrote: We have a Corgi that seems to shed a new dog every 2-3 weeks. I have an older Budd Vac system in the house that is mounted to the ceiling in my storage room. Could you explain or show me how you connected the Dust Deputy to your central vacuum system? Thanks.

In the picture showing the Dust Deputy, the PVC line going to the side input port of the Dust Deputy is the line that originally connected directly to the central vacuum power unit. The flex hose  that slips over the end of that line was included with the Dust Deputy kit. Then there's a section of the flex hose that goes from the output of the Dust Deputy 90 degree elbow to the input port of the central vacuum power unit.
(11-05-2020, 10:35 AM)pgriff Wrote: We have a Corgi that seems to shed a new dog every 2-3 weeks. I have an older Budd Vac system in the house that is mounted to the ceiling in my storage room. Could you explain or show me how you connected the Dust Deputy to your central vacuum system? Thanks.

My setup.

Attached Files Image(s)