Back and doing everything...
(12-16-2020, 01:05 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Went to PT after my gushing pronouncement here yesterday. They said, maybe I can saw *lightly*, but no chopping yet.
Sad

Yup, Kris is building a long ... long list of to-do's. I am going to make an appointment for a new hip; nature's version drags me out of bed at 5 hours. Never mind the new shoulder keeping me off it at night.

Do your PT...and don't rush it...these things take time.......
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Yesterday I scheduled P.T. through January; two days a week, as usual. This was after complaining about lacking "full" range of motion. 

"Well, you hunch forward. Not good." So let's jump on those pec's, kick the scapula forward and fix thirty years of bad posture. "Remember, relax." I keep forgetting to do that relaxing....

Yes, it hurt. Bad. I was shaking like a leaf for the last 15-minutes of torture while my recently discovered bundle of nerves going over the shoulder and down my arm fired bolts of fire randomly throughout the exercises. The impinged nerves better heal soon or I will be in big doo-do. How many months have I been going through this abuse?

However, I must have gained 5-degrees range of free movement in that 45-minutes. 

Still light on the weights and hammering, but getting there!
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(12-30-2020, 02:36 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Yesterday I scheduled P.T. through January; two days a week, as usual. This was after complaining about lacking "full" range of motion. 

"Well, you hunch forward. Not good." So let's jump on those pec's, kick the scapula forward and fix thirty years of bad posture. "Remember, relax." I keep forgetting to do that relaxing....

Yes, it hurt. Bad. I was shaking like a leaf for the last 15-minutes of torture while my recently discovered bundle of nerves going over the shoulder and down my arm fired bolts of fire randomly throughout the exercises. The impinged nerves better heal soon or I will be in big doo-do. How many months have I been going through this abuse?

However, I must have gained 5-degrees range of free movement in that 45-minutes. 

Still light on the weights and hammering, but getting there!
14months for me...still not fully recovered and now old Arthur seems to be setting in...

Upset
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-20-2020, 07:12 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: Make sure and run a polissoir over each of those new joint faces! They are already polished, and thank you, no. However, I did feel bone in places I hadn't before. The new joint is covered in reattached tendons or muscle.

Glad to hear you're keeping up the maintenance, and looking forward to the next projects... Me, too!

Thanks, Chris. 

Out of exasperation I am looking at new things to do. Kolrosing for one. That can be done with 'helper' hands and fingers. Calligraphy is not so good. Bad shoulders are always on the dominant arm, so crappy penmanship will remain bad until nature makes it worse. It's been years since my rendering days, but I hope to incorporate that in a long-term wood project. 

I had to retire a similar hobby to your horology. Ultra-light indoor model airplanes. I was quickly losing the ability to handle models less than a quarter of the weight of a dollar bill. It was fun and challenging to get a substantially sized  spread of film and balsa scraps into a launch position while holding an equal weight of tightly wound rubber motor. The things usually fell apart in a puff of errant breath. While building, standard moduli were less important than the "modulus of failure". Stresses wore down strength (elasticity) over time. If a wing held 70-percent of dihedral for 30-minutes, That's 250 milligrams, chances were it could last for a 25 minute flight. So much for a strange gloat....
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(12-30-2020, 02:43 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..........................
14months for me...still not fully recovered and now old Arthur seems to be setting in...

Upset

My ambivalence to the surgery included a niggling memory/thought that repair/replacement would not return lost range of motion. Or, I would not regain pre surgery full range of activity. An earlier procedure and follow up PT was an attempt to regain lost motion. It was extremely painful work by the therapist. Not something I could do on my own. I feel like I am at the same threshold now, overcoming years of deteriorating ability.

Hah! It's Arthur who started most, not all, of this destruction.
Another update. The monthly anniversary. Man, three months feels like forever, and I have one week of P.T. appointments left on my calendar. It seems impossible but there is always a lot more work that needs to be done restoring activity levels.

This month has almost exclusively been pushing range of motion and correcting long compensation habits. It is all painful, but sorta good. Yesterday, at PT I realized my dominant arm is at the same strength level of its nerve damaged partner. I started using the 'pulley' to pull the arm above my back jeans pocket. The belt-line is low but not plumber low ... I hope it's not.

I shadow-saw wood to loosen stiff, tight muscles. Honey-do's are the only distraction from making wood dust now.