Cherry Kitchen Cabinets
Photo 
I will be building a built in pantry and need some advice.  It will be a large (9' wide by 8' tall) wall unit that will be recessed into an existing wall.  I will be using cherry hardwood for the face frames and door rails and stiles and cherry veneer plywood for the door faces.  I am planning to build the boxes out of baltic birch plywood since only the inside of the boxes will ever bee seen (read: I am too cheap to buy cherry veneer ply for the boxes).  My question is what to do about the inside of the boxes?  Should I paint them or stain them?  And what color, etc?  If anyone has advice on what would look good I would appreciate it.
Assuming the interior will be seen (not hidden by drawers or such) there's a couple of options, my choice would be to use pre-finished cabinet grade plywood for the boxes. I suppose you could also use melamine. Should you choose to stay with the baltic birch I would finish it...being careful to avoid anuthing oil based...it will smell for months. A good waterborne finish, or shellac, will work just fine. That waterborne could be a good grade of 100% acrylic paint, or let the wood show with a clear top coat. White paint would make it a lot easier to see in the pantry.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-16-2020, 01:55 PM)fredhargis Wrote:  my choice would be to use pre-finished cabinet grade plywood for the boxes

+1

I used prefinished maple ply. Nice color contrast with the cherry, looks great, and the finished side holds up well when machining. It's more expensive but saves a lot of time.
When I built two cherry vanities for my master bath, I used birch ply, unstained, and put a couple of coats of water based poly on them prior to assembly - too cheap to buy the pre-finished ones. Worked out well.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Baltic birch doesn't take stain all that well and the grain isn't particularly attractive, so I would probably choose paint.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(10-16-2020, 02:40 PM)joe1086 Wrote: +1

I used prefinished maple ply. Nice color contrast with the cherry, looks great, and the finished side holds up well when machining. It's more expensive but saves a lot of time.

+2 on the uv pre finished ply as it is almost bullet proof.  Yes it costs more but it looks very good and easy to clean along with saving time.  The lighter insides look good with the cherry.
If you use any ply wood for the shelves install a hardwood face with a eased front edge on it to prevent any damage from dragging items off shelf.  I use 1/4" thick maple strips the height of the shelf 3/4" in my case.  Roly
I also did cherry cabinets with prefinished maple plywood. Two sections on the uppers have glass doors and we like them light. Everybody has their own taste though.
(10-16-2020, 01:37 PM)Charger68 Wrote: I will be building a built in pantry and need some advice.  It will be a large (9' wide by 8' tall) wall unit that will be recessed into an existing wall.  I will be using cherry hardwood for the face frames and door rails and stiles and cherry veneer plywood for the door faces.  I am planning to build the boxes out of baltic birch plywood since only the inside of the boxes will ever bee seen (read: I am too cheap to buy cherry veneer ply for the boxes).  My question is what to do about the inside of the boxes?  Should I paint them or stain them?  And what color, etc?  If anyone has advice on what would look good I would appreciate it.

Being old and old fashioned I would paint the inside white semi-gloss or gloss. It's brighter and easy to clean.

--
See ya later,
Bill
(10-16-2020, 01:37 PM)Charger68 Wrote: I will be building a built in pantry and need some advice.  It will be a large (9' wide by 8' tall) wall unit that will be recessed into an existing wall.  I will be using cherry hardwood for the face frames and door rails and stiles and cherry veneer plywood for the door faces.  I am planning to build the boxes out of baltic birch plywood since only the inside of the boxes will ever bee seen (read: I am too cheap to buy cherry veneer ply for the boxes).  My question is what to do about the inside of the boxes?  Should I paint them or stain them?  And what color, etc?  If anyone has advice on what would look good I would appreciate it.

I also support cabinet grade plywood for the boxes.

Another option you might consider (assuming the insides of the cabinet are the only visible portion of the upper and lower cabinet boxes) – is cross (or ”X-”) band melamine plywood (NOT particle board). X-band is furniture/cabinet grade ply with a melamine veneer.it wood provide a very clean look to the interior.
For a pantry I’d use white melamine. No finishing to worry about,  and it’s tough as nails.  The real benefit is that it will reflect a lot of light and make it easier to see what’s in there. 

I’d also build frameless boxes , but I understand this is a personal choice. I just don’t view this project as any kind of “fine furniture” in which man made materials or machining detracts from the aesthetic. It may actually help with the function and will net you more storage. 

We’re I looking to make a statement , I’d paint the interiors a rich hunter or sage green color. 

But, this is your pantry.