Shiplap Back
I am about to install a maple shiplap back on a chest of drawers and need some advice on the gap width for expansion. Each of four maple boards are approximately 36 x 5.  Any help would be appreciated.
(10-16-2020, 06:15 PM)ranger29 Wrote: I am about to install a maple shiplap back on a chest of drawers and need some advice on the gap width for expansion. Each of four maple boards are approximately 36 x 5.  Any help would be appreciated.

Put a nickel in the gap as you nail/screw them in place. That will be sufficient for 5" wide stock.  

John
2.5mm assuming hard maple; less (say 2 mm) for soft maple.

Simon
(10-16-2020, 06:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Put a nickel in the gap as you nail/screw them in place. That will be sufficient for 5" wide stock.  

John

Math for Dummies!
Winkgrin 

Simon
(10-16-2020, 06:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Put a nickel in the gap as you nail/screw them in place. That will be sufficient for 5" wide stock.  

John

(10-16-2020, 06:46 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: 2.5mm assuming hard maple; less (say 2 mm) for soft maple.

Simon

(10-16-2020, 06:48 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Math for Dummies!
Winkgrin 

Simon

Laugh
You made me look it up. Google says a nickel is 1.95mm thick and I'm to lazy to go out to the shop and confirm with my calipers.

OP, make sure that's a new nickel your using, I'd hate for the gap to me .02mm less using a worn nickel.
Wink
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(10-17-2020, 06:35 AM)sniper Wrote: Interesting! The mint must be getting cheap. New nickels mic anywhere from 1.8mm to 1.92mm, depending on which part of the coin you are measuring.

Laugh  
You made me look it up.  Google says a nickel is 1.95mm thick and I'm to lazy to go out to the shop and confirm with my calipers.  

OP, make sure that's a new nickel your using, I'd hate for the gap to me .02mm less using a worn nickel.
Wink
"Interesting! The mint must be getting cheap. New nickels mic anywhere from 1.8mm to 1.92mm, depending on which part of the coin you are measuring."

One of the many problems ancient Rome had was citizens shaving flakes of gold from their gold coins. Led to inflation.
Robin of Kingston