How to move a deck post while building the deck
Gang-

I'm helping my BIL build a deck and if you look at the picture, you'll see the red box where I need the LH post to be.  You can see the sleeve over the post I inadvertently placed.  It is bolted in so it is easy to remove.  

The issue is there's the post (pointed to in the red arrow) and I need to place the railing post directly above this post.  (Had I realized the error when we were framing it up, I would have let the support post run up through the deck, like you see on the RH side).

I can't figure out a way to attach the railing post right above the deck post.  I thought about drilling down into this post with a large bit (maybe 10" down or so) and then creating a "tenon" on the railing post, but I'm afraid that won't have much lateral strength.  I suppose I could somehow try to create a lap joint there, but there are 2 bolts running through it supporting that side of the deck.

Have any suggestions?  (other than starting from scratch??)

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
There are post anchors made for surface mounting 4x4 and 6x6 posts to deck framing. This one gets good reviews:

Titan Post Anchor

You have to beef up the framing below, but they do pass the load testing requirements as long as you don't go too high.  I was going to use them for a deck/porch project we are (still) working on...during the framing inspection I showed one to the inspector and he said they meet our local codes (which are fairly stringent).
Can you just sister up a second post?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-19-2020, 08:45 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Gang-

I'm helping my BIL build a deck and if you look at the picture, you'll see the red box where I need the LH post to be.  You can see the sleeve over the post I inadvertently placed.  It is bolted in so it is easy to remove.  

The issue is there's the post (pointed to in the red arrow) and I need to place the railing post directly above this post.  (Had I realized the error when we were framing it up, I would have let the support post run up through the deck, like you see on the RH side).

I can't figure out a way to attach the railing post right above the deck post.  I thought about drilling down into this post with a large bit (maybe 10" down or so) and then creating a "tenon" on the railing post, but I'm afraid that won't have much lateral strength.  I suppose I could somehow try to create a lap joint there, but there are 2 bolts running through it supporting that side of the deck.

Have any suggestions?  (other than starting from scratch??)

I would place temp supports for the deck and replace that post with a full length one.   This will ease your mind as far as a future failure as it is a key position for the strength.  Roly
(10-19-2020, 09:38 AM)Cooler Wrote: Can you just sister up a second post?

Seems reasonable. Cut existing post flush to framing, sister in new post from framing to footer.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(10-19-2020, 09:41 AM)Roly Wrote:  I would place temp supports for the deck and replace that post with a full length one.   This will ease your mind as far as a future failure as it is a key position for the strength.  Roly

Well. the problem is is that the footing we poured is already as far left as it can go.  It was a mistake when we poured the footings.
Dumber than I appear
(10-19-2020, 09:43 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Seems reasonable.   Cut existing post flush to framing,  sister in new post from framing to footer.

Well, if I sister up a 2nd lost to the one that is there, the post would now be 2x aa wide.  It wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing because I would need to sister up the RH post as well.
Dumber than I appear
(10-19-2020, 09:46 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Well, if I sister up a 2nd lost to the one that is there, the post would now be 2x aa wide.  It wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing because I would need to sister up the RH post as well.

You would only need to sister it up below the deck (from what I see in the photo).  So the tall post will be either one or the other.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A closer picture of the framing there may help.
(10-19-2020, 11:37 AM)Cooler Wrote: You would only need to sister it up below the deck (from what I see in the photo).  So the tall post will be either one or the other.

What you're missing is that it need to sit on top of the support post, which ends at the level of the deck:

(this is a front view)

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear