How to move a deck post while building the deck
Replace the support post.

Notch it for the joist.
Based on experience, uhm, helping someone else... add a temporary support to that corner of the deck. Remove the existing support post and railing post. Install a new post from the footing all the way up to railing height. That is the best long term solution.

(10-20-2020, 07:45 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Based on experience, uhm, helping someone else...   add a temporary support to that corner of the deck.  Remove the existing support post and railing post.  Install a new post from the footing all the way up to railing height.  That is the best long term solution.

Crokett?

Yes, I've been thinking about this and that's probably the best solution.  

The deck's in CT and I'm in MA so I can only work on it on the weekend.  He's getting antsy to see the deck board laid down (he wants to see some progress).  I told him, 'Building a deck is like painting,  the prep work seems mundane but it is critically important for the final results."
Dumber than I appear
Short of taking out both posts and installing one in the correct locationcatioin and height, you might want to consider a simpson CPTZ concealed post tie, or the Titan post anchor mentioned about. Both can be installed and concealed behind the sleeve and offer the required load support for a railing.
(10-20-2020, 12:46 PM)jamesglenn Wrote: Short of taking out both posts and installing one in the correct locationcatioin and height, you might want to consider a simpson CPTZ concealed post tie, or the Titan post anchor mentioned about. Both can be installed and concealed behind the sleeve and offer the required load support for a railing.

The problem with the Titan post tie and the Simpson is that I can't get under it to fasten it because the existing post is there.  Or am I not understanding how the Simpson post tie works?

Correction: I YTed the simpson post tie and I see how it attaches.
Dumber than I appear
(10-19-2020, 12:12 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: What you're missing is that it need to sit on top of the support post, which ends at the level of the deck:

(this is a front view)

Well, you didn't say that...

(10-19-2020, 12:15 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Replace the support post.

Notch it for the joist.

Yup. Why he didn't just extend the support up to carry the railing in the first place, I don't know...
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(10-19-2020, 08:45 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Gang-

I'm helping my BIL build a deck and if you look at the picture, you'll see the red box where I need the LH post to be.  You can see the sleeve over the post I inadvertently placed.  It is bolted in so it is easy to remove.  

The issue is there's the post (pointed to in the red arrow) and I need to place the railing post directly above this post.  (Had I realized the error when we were framing it up, I would have let the support post run up through the deck, like you see on the RH side).

I can't figure out a way to attach the railing post right above the deck post.  I thought about drilling down into this post with a large bit (maybe 10" down or so) and then creating a "tenon" on the railing post, but I'm afraid that won't have much lateral strength.  I suppose I could somehow try to create a lap joint there, but there are 2 bolts running through it supporting that side of the deck.

Have any suggestions?  (other than starting from scratch??)

Get yourself one of the big Domino machines!!

Not sure why the post wasn't carried up through the floor originally but I imagine you could use a ship auger to plant a couple of rods to work as tenons to keep it in place and keep from turning
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.