Options for Deep Drawers
Question 
Folks,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to build drawers for a closet organizer built-in.  

The closet currently has a shelf system made with 1x12" pine boards.  Probably original to the house.  Approximately 30" wide by 50" tall.  It's situated on the far wall between the two rows of hangers.  The idea is to replace these shelves with a chest of drawers, and then have additional shelving with doors on top of it.  It's a built-in located in a closet, so no reason to use deluxe wood or deluxe construction techniques.  Furthermore, spouse seems adamant that is will be painted when finished, yet another reason not to select mahogany.

My question is this.  It seems to me that there isn't any reason to make a lot of drawers that would be, say 8" high.  I'd rather build fewer drawers 12" high.  It would be more efficient for storage and would more closely mimic what is already there.  At the moment, I'm planning to use mechanical slides.

What would you use for drawer sides?  I think it might be a lot of work to arrive at straight, flat 12" wide stock to use for the drawer boxes.

What would you use for drawer box joinery?  I normally use dovetails, but I'm open to suggestions.  

I can always punt and make 50% more 8" high drawers.  This would probably be plan A for any location other than the closet.  

Any other tips are always welcome.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(10-19-2020, 02:04 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Folks,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to build drawers for a closet organizer built-in.  

The closet currently has a shelf system made with 1x12" pine boards.  Probably original to the house.  Approximately 30" wide by 50" tall.  It's situated on the far wall between the two rows of hangers.  The idea is to replace these shelves with a chest of drawers, and then have additional shelving with doors on top of it.  It's a built-in located in a closet, so no reason to use deluxe wood or deluxe construction techniques.  Furthermore, spouse seems adamant that is will be painted when finished, yet another reason not to select mahogany.

My question is this.  It seems to me that there isn't any reason to make a lot of drawers that would be, say 8" high.  I'd rather build fewer drawers 12" high.  It would be more efficient for storage and would more closely mimic what is already there.  At the moment, I'm planning to use mechanical slides.

What would you use for drawer sides?  I think it might be a lot of work to arrive at straight, flat 12" wide stock to use for the drawer boxes.

What would you use for drawer box joinery?  I normally use dovetails, but I'm open to suggestions.  

I can always punt and make 50% more 8" high drawers.  This would probably be plan A for any location other than the closet.  

Thanks,
Mark

I typically use loose tenons for drawers (at least ever since I bought the Domino) but I have used through dowels as well. You can also use the Domino to create through tenons, which isn't a bad look.

Plywood (BB or cabinet grade) will be more than adequate for the drawer sides. You can sand them after assembly and they will take a finish pretty well (or none is required, to be honest, especially for clothing).

I don't know if the pandemic has affected the price of radiata pine at Home Depot (it may have), but their 1x12 stock is generally clear and straight. Not anywhere near as economical as plywood, but it will certainly work. I use it for drawers all the time.
I would go with plywood for the sides, and drawer lock joints for the joinery (a dado in the side, and a tongue on the front/back). Generally I don't consider that as strong on plywood boxes as it is on solid wood, but I built some very large drawers that way and they did just fine. I would also use full extension slides...if you want to save some money and still get nice slides check out the Glide Right brand at Amazon. In packs of 10, they are quite economical.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would also go with baltic birch. 

A fast and very strong way to assemble this. is to use glue and butt joints and using short screws to assemble.  Once the glue has dried, then remove the screws and through drill for dowels. 

Dowels are excedingly strong in shear and offer good wracking strength. 

I've even used utility plywood for this type of work.  It is not very attractive, but if you use wood filler on the cut ends it will look OK. 

I would not rely on screws alone.  The through dowels are strong and if you trim it neatly and sand it smooth it has a nice look.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My personal opinion: I think deep drawers may not be as useful and shallow drawers. Stuff tends to get lost in deep drawers. I guess it depends on exactly what you are putting in the drawers. Yes its more work to make more drawers, but IMHO it may well be worth it in terms of how useful the drawers are in day-to-day applications.

Thanks,
Mark
I'm with Philip, more is better.  But I do not know their assigned use.  If they are for heavy sweaters or blankets the shallow may not be a good choice.  As far as drawer joinery, I only do hand cut dove tails (even in my shop).  I love the look and I figure I can always use the practice.  I did six dresser drawers last week for a young minister in our church.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I'm gonna talk heresy on this woodworking forum.

Why not make the wood carcase and instead of wood drawers, get wire baskets from the home improvement store of your choice?

If this piece was in the open rather than a closet, I would be in favor of a more formal appearance, and would make the drawers.  However, since it's in a closet, I'd opt for a more utilitarian look and would seriously consider the baskets.  I have this kind of setup for my closet.  We had an unused jetted tub in the master bath and when we rehabbed the master bath, we pulled the tub, closed in the area, and made a small walk-in closet.  It allowed me to get rid of an armoire in the master BR.  We put in a closet system which I've been considering changing out; if we do that, I'll still keep the pull out basket drawers.

Just a thought, and perhaps worth every penny you paid for it.

Thanks,
Mark

Found this link on another web, Interesting/easy method to build drawers.  Plan on trying next drawer build.
https://youtu.be/_Z3pMyNPfi0

Bob
(10-19-2020, 07:26 PM)bob-t Wrote: Found this link on another web, Interesting/easy method to build drawers.  Plan on trying next drawer build.
https://youtu.be/_Z3pMyNPfi0

Bob

This is the way I've been doing for a couple years.

Thanks,
Mark

Good discussion.  I like the idea of using baltic birch plywood for the sides.  But isn't baltic birch plywood godawful expensive, especially for 4 large drawers?  Assuming a plywood is chosen, I think I will need more than a full sheet.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX