Part needed for stapler
(10-20-2020, 07:21 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/stanle...0595200162

I ordered the flange nut and to be safe, the screw that goes with it.
My friend above that needs a part might want to look here.

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(10-20-2020, 08:43 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I ordered the flange nut and to be safe, the screw that goes with it.
My friend above that needs a part might want to look here.

Big Grin

No joy here.  The part is "discontinued and no longer made" - and probably a little difficult to make on my Leblond.

I am still going to make your flange nut - just for the challenge - and to keep something on "inventory" so I will wonder what that is for as the years (days?) go by.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(10-20-2020, 10:13 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: No joy here.  The part is "discontinued and no longer made" - and probably a little difficult to make on my Leblond.

I am still going to make your flange nut - just for the challenge - and to keep something on "inventory" so I will wonder what that is for as the years (days?) go by.

As I said in my PM, I still might need it.

Uhoh

The bin could be empty when they go to pull the order.
Sigh...

I have often thought about a lathe...
Both woodworking and machinists...
But you can only focus on so many hobbies, and I have plenty.

Post a pic after you knock out the flange nut if you will, I'd like to see it.
Jim in Okie
I will be heading to The Shop in a few minutes to start the project . . . and I just put the cover back on the lathe yesterday before I used the leaf blower to "clean" the garage.  
Big Grin 

I hope I have the proper sized tap to thread it.  If not, I will have to wait until the hardware store folks get up before I can get one.

Yep, I got your PM - but my theory is "If you need one now, you should probably get two because you might need another one later."  Now that I think about it that could be why my shop has so much "stuff" in it.  
Rolleyes 

My woodworking shop is on the other side of the door from my metal lathe, welder, etc. 

I am actually in the process of building another building for the metal stuff as well as my military collection.  It will be 36' x 100' with 12' sides.  I wonder if I should go larger?  (That is a rhetorical question because we all know it should always be bigger.)

At this stage in my life it is more about getting all of the stuff in one place to make it easier on my heirs (or at least the auctioneer).  However, there is always the possibility I will find some things I just "need" to add to The Collection - currently at over 6,300 items.  Those items are currently scattered over six different locations.

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
So, the bin for the screw and flange nut were both empty... I got an email saying my order would be backordered "at least" ten to fourteen days.  If I had questions feel free to call.  I was feeling free, so I called.

I told the perky blonde who answered... Just guessing... That every other supplier on the web showed those parts as discontinued, so were they backordered, or unavailable.

"Gee, like we don't know til we try and order them, let me check our order matrix."

Hold music
Hold music
Hold music

"Okay, so those parts ARE discontinued.  I'll pull up your receipt, and get you credited... Have a (Smurfy) great day."
 She didn't, but she was thinking it.

Big Grin

If your attempt works...
I'd like one.
Please.

Jim
Jim in Okie
Kind of a bad news - good news - bad news - good news sort of day.

The bad news is that I do not have a tap for the threads - or even a screw to identify the threads (probably metric).

The good news is that on the way to the hardware store I discovered the city Street Department chose today to remove the tree in front of my new building lot . . . so I spent the day taking photos and "helping" them.  
Big Grin 

The bad news is that after the street department left I went to the hardware store to get a tap.  They did not have a tap, but did have a screw (but no nut for the screw).

The good news is that on the way back home (I was walking because I need the exercise because taking down a tree and tearing up concrete earlier wasn't enough) I stopped by NAPA.  They did not have the proper tap (M3 x .50), but there was one up in Minnesota.  It will be here Friday.  I thought about getting two because M3 x .50 is a REALLY TINY tap and I knew I would break it, but the next closest warehouse with some in inventory was in Wisconsin.  They had three, but they would not be here until next week.  NEXT WEEK???  We don't have time for that sort of nonsense.  We need it now.  
Winkgrin 

As I was doing all of my walking around, I thought about making a new flange nut AND screw.  The purpose of the flange nut and screw is to hold the adjustable exhaust port onto the top of the air cylinder.  Who cares what pitch the flange nut is, if it matches the screw?  If I break my new itty bitty tap, I will probably just make a new flange nut with a bonus screw.  Won't that be special?  It will be the only Bostich stapler with that size of flange nut and screw.  Come to think of it.  It will probably be the only Bostich stapler with any flange nut and screw . . . since they aren't making them anymore.

For some reason I have a rather severe headache right now.  I wonder why?

I am thinking of finding a screw that's close, with a nylock nut. Come in from the bottom, screw the nut down to the top of the dust cover, just tight enough.  Cut off the excess screw length.  Done. 
Upset  When the stapler dies, send bostitch a thank you card with pics of my new stapler.  Probably bostitch.  This one is at least twenty years old. 
Crazy

What am I whining about?

Rolleyes
Jim in Okie
(10-21-2020, 05:51 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I am thinking of finding a screw that's close, with a nylock nut. Come in from the bottom, screw the nut down to the top of the dust cover, just tight enough.  Cut off the excess screw length.  Done. 
Upset  When the stapler dies, send bostitch a thank you card with pics of my new stapler.  Probably bostitch.  This one is at least twenty years old. 
Crazy

What am I whining about?

Rolleyes

I am sure that will work - but I know mine will look more pretty.  
Big Grin

Plus that is a really small screw and you don't want to drill the hole out any larger.

The one I removed this morning had about a tablespoon of Loctite on it.  I didn't think I was ever going to get it loose (couldn't hold the flange nut tight enough).  Vise Grips to the rescue.

Don't forget to include a link to this thread with your card to Bostich.

Custom made parts make the repair all that more gloatable.

My metal lathe and drill press have paid for themselves many many times over.

Sorta.

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Value = what the buyer and seller can agree upon.

If the seller doesn't have one to sell, it is up to the buyer to determine the value.

When I am the buyer and can't find one to buy, I make one and it becomes priceless (but I will probably give it away for free).  
Big Grin