Is cutting a mirror the same as glass
I've cut a lot of glass but never a mirror. Dad showed me how to cut glass when I was a kid with a ball and bat or a BB gun. Course then I was doing it with a sore backside.

Thanks.
(10-20-2020, 02:53 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I've cut a lot of glass but never a mirror. Dad showed me how to cut glass when I was a kid with a ball and bat or a BB gun. Course then I was doing it with a sore backside.

Thanks.

a ball and bat will do equally well on a mirror as it will window glass
Wink

Years ago I worked at a hardware store and cut regular window glass and mirrors the same way.. score and snap.. 

recently I found myself needing to cut a mirror that had a beveled edge and turned out to be tempered..  can't do that on my own, have to go to a glass shop
(10-20-2020, 03:12 PM)mound Wrote: a ball and bat will do equally well on a mirror as it will window glass
Wink

Years ago I worked at a hardware store and cut regular window glass and mirrors the same way.. score and snap.. 

recently I found myself needing to cut a mirror that had a beveled edge and turned out to be tempered..  can't do that on my own, have to go to a glass shop

If the mirror is tempered and the glass shop is able to successfully cut it, please share their name...
Cutting tempered glass would be quite a feat...
Of course the glass shop might very well be the source of the new beveled mirror in the size and configuration for which you are looking...
(10-20-2020, 02:53 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I've cut a lot of glass but never a mirror. Dad showed me how to cut glass when I was a kid with a ball and bat or a BB gun. Course then I was doing it with a sore backside.

Thanks.

i've found it similar
WoodNET... the new safespace
Are you sure that mirror was tempered, Mound? It my understanding (talking to my glass shop) that tempered glass cannot be cut...it's always cut first and then tempered. Trying to cut it would just result in a pile of slivers (they said).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-20-2020, 03:39 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Are you sure that mirror was tempered, Mound? It my understanding (talking to my glass shop) that tempered glass cannot be cut...it's always cut first and then tempered. Trying to cut it would just result in a pile of slivers (they said).

Actually I would not call them "slivers" more like little BB sized fragments.

My Brother-in-Law brought me a piece of tinted glass.  He wanted it cut so I tossed it on my workbench and started to work.

A few careful measurements and I reached for my square and glass cutter.  Pulled the glass cutter across the glass (It pulled kind of tough.  Oh well, probably time to get a new cutter.)

I turned away to put the apparently dull cutter back in the drawer and the square in the proper place.

WHAT IS THAT WEIRD CRACKLING SOUND?

BOOM ! (or whatever it sounds like)

It took the better part of an hour to clean up all of those pieces from The Shop floor.

Where did you get that glass anyway?

It was the rear window in a pickup box topper.

You know those are tempered, right?

Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(10-20-2020, 03:22 PM)brianwelch Wrote: If the mirror is tempered and the glass shop is able to successfully cut it, please share their name...

I didn't actually find one but was told it can be done by a shop with laser cutters. I ended up getting a new mirror cut to the size I wanted (without bevel)
(10-21-2020, 08:29 AM)mound Wrote: I didn't actually find one but was told it can be done by a shop with laser cutters. I ended up getting a new mirror cut to the size I wanted (without bevel)

I was curious about this and the only thing I found on the net or youtube was lasers cutting smart phone tempered glass.  That stuff is hair thin.  I did not find any company cutting thicker tempered plate glass.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(10-21-2020, 08:29 AM)mound Wrote: I didn't actually find one but was told it can be done by a shop with laser cutters. I ended up getting a new mirror cut to the size I wanted (without bevel)

Probably the best solution anyway.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Great!

My wife is really going to be upset when she hears I need to buy a laser for The Shop.

Winkgrin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.