Matching up a door
What is the chance of buying a prehung cheap wood slab interior door/frame(32x80) and being able to take the door portion only, with the hinges  and being able to put it in an installed 10 year old interior frame and having the spacing be identical? Bottom line, someone took the door off a frame and did not save the door or hardware on that door and I am looking for the quickest way to get a door back in place without having to buy a slab and spend a couple hours cutting for new hardware. Cost. Is not the issue and I realize I would just throw away the frame portion of the new door.
(10-21-2020, 10:42 PM)bsheffer Wrote: What is the chance of buying a prehung cheap wood slab interior door/frame(32x80) and being able to take the door portion only, with the hinges  and being able to put it in an installed 10 year old interior frame and having the spacing be identical? Bottom line, someone took the door off a frame and did not save the door or hardware on that door and I am looking for the quickest way to get a door back in place without having to buy a slab and spend a couple hours cutting for new hardware. Cost. Is not the issue and I realize I would just throw away the frame portion of the new door.

Doors on my house didn't match anything at the BORG(s)... hinge spacing was different.  I tracked down one of the trades guys that worked with the builder and found out the local source.  I was able to buy just the door slab and everything lined up.
(10-22-2020, 04:49 AM)KC Wrote: Doors on my house didn't match anything at the BORG(s)... hinge spacing was different.  I tracked down one of the trades guys that worked with the builder and found out the local source.  I was able to buy just the door slab and everything lined up.

KC, are you saying you were able to buy just a slab(without frame) where everything lined up? From what I saw at the BORG, none of the slabs had any cut-outs?
(10-22-2020, 06:40 AM)bsheffer Wrote: KC, are you saying you were able to buy just a slab(without frame) where everything lined up? From what I saw at the BORG, none of the slabs had any cut-outs?

We were able to order a solid (masonite) 2 panel custom door (extremely narrow, and far from any standard dimensions, h or w), no hardware prep, for a very reasonable price. Made sense for us as our home is from the late 1800's...
Not good, in my experience.

It may be faster to just buy the prehung and install that, frame and all.
How about measure the existing door?
I use a story pole and mark my doors that way.   If I am hanging new doors I have a door jig and boring jig.  I did hang hundreds of doors over the years.  Hospital doors were the worst wide and solid core.
(10-22-2020, 09:55 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: How about measure the existing door?

The existing door is gone, along with the hardware due to prior owner
(10-22-2020, 12:49 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I use a story pole and mark my doors that way.   If I am hanging new doors I have a door jig and boring jig.  I did hang hundreds of doors over the years.  Hospital doors were the worst wide and solid core.

Good idea on the storyboard pole..
(10-22-2020, 06:40 AM)bsheffer Wrote: KC, are you saying you were able to buy just a slab(without frame) where everything lined up? From what I saw at the BORG, none of the slabs had any cut-outs?

Yes.  I ordered it from the supplier the builder used, which was not a BORG.  I needed to put a doggie door in the replacement.  When we sell the new owner can keep the one there now or put the original back in.