Planning end grain
(10-23-2020, 10:17 AM)David Charlesworth Wrote: Interesting about the L-N No 9.

We frequently had to plane the end grain of bench top slabs.  16" x 4"

The plane which we found best was a 5 1/2 with replacement blade.  (Hock A2 )

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

I started using it for end grain by laziness! I had to trim flush some dowels and the #9 was on the bench so I grabbed it in stead of getting a low angle plane and started using it. I was surprised at how well it performed so I tried it on dove tails and end grain. Again it worked well. Im sure it was not intended for that but none the less it worked so I kept using it. My LN 5 1/2 is another plane that is constantly on my bench. I use it for everything.
Rob Cosman is another that uses the 5-1/2 for trimming dovetails. I've used my 60-1/2, but prefer a #3 or #4.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
A great plane for end grain is the Veritas LA Jack. I used one for years with a 25 degree A2 blade as a shooting plane.

I have cut end grain with cutting angles as high as 60 degrees (e.g. HNT Gordon Trying Plane). It works, but the result is not as clean as a low cutting angle. 

An alternative to the low cutting angle of the LA Jack is a woodie made specifically for this purpose ...

.... strike block plane with 37 degree bed (and 25-degree bevel) shooting hard Jarrah end grain ...

[Image: Buildinga-Strike-Block-Plane-html-6e20bb98.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
IMO any plane will work if the iron is sharp enough.

I use a #6 as a shooting plane.

For things like thick boards or dovetails, a low angle jack, or my #4 if it is nice a sharp.
IMO any plane will work if the iron is sharp enough.

That is too simple an answer. It is correct, but incomplete. Yes, all planes - low- or high angle - will plane end grain if their blade is sharp. However, a lower cutting angle will do so with great ease, and leave a smoother finish.

All work, but to a lesser or greater degree.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Yes, the angle of attack does matter, so does the size of the plane vis a vis the size of the work.

But both of them are less important than the sharpness of a blade, especially when dealing with softwood. In a pinch, I've used a block plane to shave endgrain, but that's not a plane I normally use for endgrain work. Like some of you, the low angle jack is my plane for shooting engrain.

Simon