Macassar Ebony chisels
A bit ago I posted pics of some small Curly Maple Dovetail Chisels and mentioned at that time that the next set would have handles made from Macassar Ebony. Here they are along with a matching Awl.

Ron

[Image: 10%253A22%2Bmechisels.jpg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Gorgeous work as always, Ron!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Beautiful - as always!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
WOW! Very nice Love those handles
(10-22-2020, 11:04 AM)Ron Brese Wrote: A bit ago I posted pics of some small Curly Maple Dovetail Chisels and mentioned at that time that the next set would have handles made from Macassar Ebony. Here they are along with a matching Awl.

Ron

[Image: 10%253A22%2Bmechisels.jpg]
Ahhh. Quite nice. I don't know which is better looking. The Curly maple, Macassar, or the Ironwood. Eye candy over load.
Smile
BontzSawWorks.net
Love the brass ferrules and the polished handles. Makes them more like art than tools. Have you tried hitting them with a mallet? I wonder how the Macassar ebony would hold up to whacking. I've made screwdriver handles out of that before, but not chisels. I'd be more inclined to use those as paring chisels.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-29-2020, 11:38 AM)AHill Wrote: Love the brass ferrules and the polished handles.  Makes them more like art than tools.  Have you tried hitting them with a mallet?  I wonder how the Macassar ebony would hold up to whacking.  I've made screwdriver handles out of that before, but not chisels.  I'd be more inclined to use those as paring chisels.

Alan we call these Dovey chisels and they are made for chopping the last bit of material away from the knife line and were made 1/8" thick in order to make it easier to get into tight spaces for incising the line between the base line and the side of dovetails. As you can imagine they can be used for all manner of work but my point is if you're whacking them that hard you're doing it wrong. (grin)

I've had a request for a set made from Gabon Ebony and frankly I would be worried about that material in this application and have refrained from using that material in a mallet striking tool.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
(10-30-2020, 07:44 AM)Ron Brese Wrote: Alan we call these Dovey chisels and ......

Dovey, as in "Lovey Dovey"?

I think Google agreed with my initial thought.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Beautiful work, again, Ron!