Hollow chisel bit recommendations
I am building a couple of Stickley dressers for my kids (build thread to come later) and of course, there will be dozens of mortises to make. I picked up a Delta 14-650 hollow chisel mortiser for a steal awhile back but it only came with a 1/2 bit. I'm looking for a 3/8 in bit but am pretty overwhelmed at the options and the huge variation in price. I'm looking for a good "value" bit. You know that perfect compromise between cost and quality. I also have to keep in mind what fit's my machine. Apparently bits come with different length augers as well as different diameter shanks of the bits and the chisel. So if anyone can offer up some input, I would greatly appreciate it.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Lee valley has some good ones
I have seen the ones at Lee Valley, however, they have two different options. There are the ones that are $50+ a piece and another option that all come in at $17.50. While I've always felt that you can trust the quality of anything at Lee Valley, that price point makes me pause. Has anyone used the "Economy" bits from Lee Valley?

Maybe Rob Lee will come along and comment?

Doug
(10-22-2020, 08:51 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I have seen the ones at Lee Valley, however, they have two different options. There are the ones that are $50+ a piece and another option that all come in at $17.50. While I've always felt that you can trust the quality of anything at Lee Valley, that price point makes me pause. Has anyone used the "Economy" bits from Lee Valley?

For only $30 additional dollars, and considering you're talking about chopping dozens of mortises, this should be an easy decision.

Compare your alternatives of manually chhopping using a mortising chisel you may or may not have or drilling out each mortise with a drill press (again you may or may not have) and clean them up with a regular bench chisel.  Each of these alternatives requires individual mortise setup and exponentially more time.

... or drop a little extra cash and buy the more quality 3/8" chisel and never look back.
Dozens of mortises?  No way I'd cut them with a bench top chisel mortiser.  A router is much less painless, and requires no cleanup.  If you want square shouldered through mortises, just chop the ends square with a chisel.  

John
For numerous reasons, I will not be using a router to make all the different mortises. I'll be using the mortiser with a fresh, new bit. One of the factors that will drive my decision on a new bit has to be the fact that one of the dressers is being made from ash, the other is a mahogany variety. This stuff is HARD! I need a bit that is going to go the distance.

cams2705 has a good point about just biting the bullet for the spendy stuff and not looking back. I assume I'm looking at an hour+ of tuning up any cheap bit that I get but I'd assume there would be much less if I drop $50 on a new one.

I buy the better ones I mostly just use them to square up routed mortices
I have the same morticer i find real difficult to get good results on a mortice much longer than 2 or 3 widths of the bit
I use mine a lot just to make square holes it is great for that
(10-23-2020, 11:19 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: For numerous reasons, I will not be using a router to make all the different mortises. I'll be using the mortiser with a fresh, new bit. One of the factors that will drive my decision on a new bit has to be the fact that one of the dressers is being made from ash, the other is a mahogany variety. This stuff is HARD! I need a bit that is going to go the distance.

cams2705 has a good point about just biting the bullet for the spendy stuff and not looking back. I assume I'm looking at an hour+ of tuning up any cheap bit that I get but I'd assume there would be much less if I drop $50 on a new one.

If you think ash and mahogany are hard don't ever work with white oak, hard maple, Sapele, or the mother of all hardwood, Ipe'.  Unlike chisel mortisers, hard wood is where router bits shine. They cut a long time when used properly and when they do get dull you just change to a new one and continue on. But neither ash nor mahogany is very hard and a chisel mortiser should get the job done.

John
(10-23-2020, 09:15 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If you think ash and mahogany are hard don't ever work with white oak, hard maple, Sapele, or the mother of all hardwood, Ipe'.  Unlike chisel mortisers, hard wood is where router bits shine.  They cut a long time when used properly and when they do get dull you just change to a new one and continue on.  But neither ash nor mahogany is very hard and a chisel mortiser should get the job done.

John

^^^^^^^^^^^ Truism! 

Actually mahogany is one of the "softer" hardwoods.

Doug