Sewer smell in the bathroom
(10-27-2020, 08:31 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: You have a vent problem.

Tell me about the house...

You either have a clogged vent(s) or you have no vent(s).

We live in Central America now so we're probably dealing with a whole different set of "standards".  If there's an issue I really don't want to deal with on my own (like if the smell persisted), I'd put in a service ticket.  Looking around the neighborhood and not seeing any vents coming through the roof or out the sides, I'm guessing this is just how they're built.
Could the toilet wax ring be leaking?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(10-23-2020, 08:22 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: We moved into our new digs and there is a sewer smell in one of the en suite bathrooms.  The house was probably vacant for several months so I ran water down the sink and shower as well as flushed the toilet, but the smell persists.  We had another bathroom with a similar smell and flushing water down the sink, shower, and toilet fixed the issue.

The traps on the sink and shower seem normal.  I see water in there so the traps are holding water.  When I run the water, the smell dissipates but then comes back.  Maybe the shower running just stirs up the air.  This bathroom is above our kitchen and I see no leaks on the ceiling.

So do I focus on the toilet next?  Broken wax seal?

If the place was vacant, and in central america where it may be a HOT climate that promotes evaporation, put water down the sink trap.  Perhaps the trap is dry making space for gas to enter the bath room.  

tom
(10-24-2020, 09:16 AM)barnowl Wrote: That'd be my guess.

My sone told me of a new design plunger that works great.

So I went out and bought one.

[Image: 088712003205.jpg?size=pdhi]

Six months later while away on business, his wife told him of a terrible sewer smell in the main bath.

She called a plumber, who replaced the  wax seal, and all was good.

I threw away my "super duper" plunger. 

He did the same.

I have blown out wax seals with plungers more than once.  The lifetime green reusable seem to not have that happen.  Although the first time I used one it didn't seal I posted downstairs and was told they could be stacked.  That solved the problem with that toilet
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Smell problems are terrible if you are asking me! I've recently moved in with my husband in a brand new apartment. So far so good, no issues so far, until one day. I just woke up from a terrible smell coming from the bathroom. It was so bad that I have wanted to vomit. I started looking for companies that deal with this kind of stuff because I've wanted to solve this problem. I've found about https://draintoronto.ca/drain_camera_inspection and they did a great job. I wouldn't wish this even on my worst enemies. I cannot describe the smell. it was that terrible.