Finishing BEFORE glue-up?
I'm building an Arts and Crafts blanket chest.  The construction is groove and tenon for the carcass.  Seems to me that I could get a much better finishing job if I were to finish the parts before glue up because I can get the finishi into places that would be hard to reach after gluing up (corners, etc.).  This of course means I'll have to avoid getting finish on the surfaces to be glued. 

For the finish, I plan to use Watco with three coats of wipe-on poly.

Is there a compelling reason NOT to finish before glue up?

Just curious.  Thanks in advance!

- Ray
no reason not to finish before the gluing - i usually finish the insides and blue tape the glue joints for the glue-up
jerry
I've gotten into the habit of finishing some parts before glue-up. For those that need assembled prior to finishing, I also use painter's tape.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(10-23-2020, 10:20 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I've gotten into the habit of finishing some parts before glue-up.  For those that need assembled prior to finishing, I also use painter's tape.

+1
Jim
(10-23-2020, 10:52 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: +1

+2
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(10-23-2020, 03:27 PM)shoottmx Wrote: +2

+3
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(10-23-2020, 04:52 PM)John Mihich Wrote: +3

Thank you all!
Not in your case, but there're good reasons why finish should be done after gluing up -

Hand-cut dovetail joints if the pins are proud. You need to glue it up, flush the surfaces before finishing
In some cases, clamping could leave marks on a finish or if not careful, indention on softwood which needs to be fixed (with heat).

I choose the method depending on what I'm making, how hard the assembly is, size, etc.

As for the blanket case, either way would work for me because it's relatively large and it won't be difficult to reach inside.

Simon
I understand your point but I think finishing before glue-up is fraught with unexpected problems. How many time do you have to tap on the joint to get it to mate properly? Will you mar your brand new, probably still somewhat soft finish? And so on. I do often stain before glue-up just because getting everything properly covered isn't always easy. If there is any movement to the joint you can easily show unstained wood. Full disclosure I dye more than stain so there is no oil residue in the joints when I do this.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(10-23-2020, 09:33 AM)RayFleck Wrote: I'm building an Arts and Crafts blanket chest.  The construction is groove and tenon for the carcass.  Seems to me that I could get a much better finishing job if I were to finish the parts before glue up because I can get the finishi into places that would be hard to reach after gluing up (corners, etc.).  This of course means I'll have to avoid getting finish on the surfaces to be glued. 

For the finish, I plan to use Watco with three coats of wipe-on poly.

Is there a compelling reason NOT to finish before glue up?

Just curious.  Thanks in advance!

- Ray

The Wood Whisperer discusses the topic:

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/ente...nter-pt-4/

--
See ya later,
Bill