Finishing BEFORE glue-up?
I made an A/C headboard that had 40 spindles.  I prefinished them because I knew it would be a pain to stain.  I found that it was the only way to do them.  Got  great stain and finish look on them.    As for panels - seeing that I have seen a lot of panels that show an unfinished line at times I always stain and put at least one coat of finish - mostly 2.  It's easier to get a good stain on them when out.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I recently pumped out 12 boxes for a card catalog I am making for my son, over the course of the next eon. I pre-finished the interiors before glue up. Easier and faster then doing it assembled, made glue clean up on the interior corners easier as well. I've found Watco Danish to be very forgiving, and very easy to blend if I subsequently need to sand or plane a finished part.

[Image: insidedrawer04.JPG]
[Image: insidedrawer06.JPG]
[Image: replaceboxes23.JPG]
[Image: carcass10.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(10-27-2020, 08:25 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: I recently pumped out 12 boxes for a card catalog I am making for my son, over the course of the next eon.  I pre-finished the interiors before glue up.  Easier and faster then doing it assembled, made glue clean up on the interior corners easier as well.  I've found Watco Danish to be very forgiving, and very easy to blend if I subsequently need to sand or plane a finished part.  

Now that looks like my next project! Very nice!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(10-27-2020, 08:25 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: I recently pumped out 12 boxes for a card catalog I am making for my son, over the course of the next eon.  I pre-finished the interiors before glue up.  Easier and faster then doing it assembled, made glue clean up on the interior corners easier as well.  I've found Watco Danish to be very forgiving, and very easy to blend if I subsequently need to sand or plane a finished part.  

Gorgeous!  What's a "Card catalog?" 
Smile. Just kidding.  
I will often stain prior to glue-ups.  

This avoids the problem of glue messing up a stain application.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.