Preventing mold in a kitchen thingy
Thanks all! She’s going to try it as is for starters, clean it good periodically, and we’ll go from there.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(10-26-2020, 05:16 AM)srv52761 Wrote: Dog or cat?

Wipe a pan after cooking bacon or whatever your cat likes, then put that in the holder. 

When the cat knocks it off the counter or into the sink, problem solved.

It wouldn't last one use if it were in our house. First time I grab for the pad I would get annoyed that it isn't sitting on the back of the sink for me to grab it and I'd break it.   

Same went for me when I grew up in Hawaii. Mold mildew and any kind of powdered or granular substance became a solid brick. Not to mention countless ear infections because we didn't have AC so no dry place to sleep. I would drill holes in the feet  and soak it in bleach when needed.
Bleach will work, but I favor hydrogen peroxide.  It is far less capable but as a prophylaxis to prevent mold, it will work fine.  I was able to kill mold on the bathroom shower by spraying hydrogen peroxide on the surface daily for a week. 

Slow, but very safe.

Or you can accidentally drop it; problem solved.
Big Grin

Most mold will be killed at 140 to 160 degrees F.  So just put it in a pot and let the water boil and the problem is solved.  Once a week is probably enough.

Dishwashers reach 125 to 150 degrees.  So you can try that.  That might be hit or miss.  The boiling water is a sure thing.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.