Adding Fireplace Mantel Over Existing Drywall Mantel
I'm planning on building a wood fireplace mantel over an existing drywall mantel. I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to do this: either build a frame and attach it to the existing mantel or remove the existing mantel first? As you can see in the images, the drywall mantel is stepped: the upper part is about three inches deep and four inches tall. One issue is that the fireplace is set in a corner. The walls on either side angle away with the angle on the right being greater than the angle on the left. My hesitation in removing the existing drywall mantel is not knowing how it is constructed underneath. It seems to be solid when I tap on it so I'm assuming its made from drywall over dimensional lumber. From looking at the pictures, can anyone give me any clue whether this might be true or not?

Can’t address your question, but my, that's an unusually nice looking drywall corner.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I think you can do it either way.

We put an antique mantel into our living room.  The fireplace it covers is a contemporary style in golden oak.  Very plain.

I rescued this antique mantel from my parent's basement where it had sat in pieces for 35 years.  I think the mantel is somewhat over 100 years old.

I overlaid the antique mantel over the existing modern mantel.  The only thing I removed was some of the molding so that the new (old) mantel could sit up tight to the wall.  It is held in place by a french cleat.  

Some pics:

Pic 1 is a picture of the fireplace in the basement.  It's not exactly the same, but the same style.  The big difference is that fireplace in the living room has a "cubby" above it that the original owners used to house a home theater setup.  I created structure in there to hold an articulating arm for our TV.

Pic 2 is the antique fireplace mantel.  I had to make a surround for the fireplace to mate up the antique mantel to the existing gas firebox.  I continued a tile box above the mantel to create the impression of a chimney that continues up through the roof.

Pic 3 is a side shot of the antique mantel.  You can see that it stands proud of the wall.

The whole structure us held in place by that french cleat.  The cleat is not weight bearing; the weight goes to the floor.  The cleat holds the mantel (more or less) tight to the structure of the fireplace built into the house.
Are you going to reface the fireplace or leave the tiles. I would cover over the existing mantle. With wood I assume. If you are going to cover over you can search for solid wood to connect to then cover over the marks you make searching.
How deep is the existing mantel?  It doesn't look very deep.  It could be a couple of molded pieces of drywall screwed to the stud or firing strip.  If it isn't large enough to carry weight, it probably wasn't made to do so. If you want your new mantle to hang, I would remove the old and make sure what is there is sufficient to hold the weight of the new mantle and whatever you might put on it (and then some).  If you are making a self supporting frame style mantle, cover it over.
Are you even sure that is drywall?  I've never seen drywall with a 1/4 round profile on it.  But I live in a house older than I am.

Either way, I'd take it down and start fresh. It'll be easier in the long run.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
I'd take the existing one down. If you want to know what's under it, drill a hole. If you change your mind, you can just fill the hole.
Signature
Wxman;
Wow what a beautiful mantal. I understand why you wanted in your home.

Several years ago (I can't believe it's been over 20 yrs) I had a handyman business specializing in woodwork. A customer wanted a mantel installed w/o noricable support, ie. corbels. I think I ran 3/4" dowels into the studs to support it. I never heard from them again so I guess it worked.

Jim
Jim
(10-25-2020, 02:35 PM)mkel2010 Wrote: Hi mkel2010,

Did you ever figure out how to remove this mantel? I have this exact same mantel and am trying to research how to DIY it. Thanks!

WATCHING THIS ONE !!!