End Grain butcher block counter
Friends have commissioned me to build them a custom 40'' x 40" "dry" kitchen island. They would like a cherry butcher block countertop to use for food prep. 
I am fond of endgrain for both looks and durability, and they are onboard as well.
There is a floorbox pretty much in the center of the island footprint, so installing a duplex outlet via whip should be pretty basic.  
Planning on building back-to-back 20" deep cabinets, as transporting as well as getting into the house could prove to be problematic otherwise.
Better to join 2 - 21" wide counters or have one 42" sq counter fabricated? I do not intend to DIY the counters, but who really knows at this time?
Any particular suggestions or concerns? Any recommended suppliers?
Thanks in advance
Do you not have the tooling or expertise to make it yourself?

I would do it using 10.5" squares. If you have sufficiently wide boards (shouldn't be too hard to find in cherry) you can use single boards (hopefully long) and create long end grain "boards." With an 8 foot board, you should end up with probably 4 10.5" squares (assuming roughly 1.5" thickness). Four boards, and arrange them in parquet squares.

It will be very heavy and hard to handle...also have to be assembled in steps. I'd probably use a router sled to flatten it.
I'd get a single unit made and not have to worry about joining them. Saw online prices starting in the low $1000's plus freight. Be nice if you could get it done locally so you could see it first.
(10-26-2020, 10:04 AM)joe1086 Wrote: I'd get a single unit made and not have to worry about joining them. Saw online prices starting in the low $1000's plus freight. Be nice if you could get it done locally so you could see it first.

That was my thought as well. Around $1200 plus shipping is the best I've found so far, but just starting.
More interested in top quality than best price...
I deal with some local woodworking/cabinet shops, may pick their brains as well
Thanks
http://kaswell.com/end-grain/

They make end grain wood flooring.  I have not used it.  It would be thicker than a normal floor I would imagine.  This was a popular item for factory flooring early in the 1900s.

Very attractive in my opinion.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cherry isn’t the best for food prep, and I’d advise against it. 

If that’s what they want , these guys will make it.  Any way they want.  Best around. 

https://www.glumber.com/
Thank you. I will look into both...
One other design condition...The house was built in 1790-ish.
The kitchen had been remodeled by the previous owner. The existing cabinet doors/drawers are all flush overlay. Island will be doors only.
The thought is for the island to be in contrast, both color/materials (existing counters are granite) rather than attempting to match. 
I have always favored beaded inset doors over flush overlay for my home. However, I do like soft closing hinges, but have not seen any suitable for inset doors.
Owners just want it done. As much as I want this to be my design, I don't have to live with it, use it and/or look at it daily.

Opinions?

Positives/negatives to either style?

Probably the best thing to do is to sketch up both ways and let them choose...
They do make accessory soft-close mechanisms.

I have not tried them.

https://www.cabinetparts.com/c/hinges/eu...lose-addon
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.