WANT TO TRADE: Lie Nielsen 140 Skew Block Plane: FINALLY FOUND ONE!
I have a pristine Lie Nielsen 140 Skew Block Plane with Nicker, right hand configuration, and I'd like to trade for the same plane, in the left hand configuration.  Let me know if this trade appeals to you. Thanks

This is promising. So did you find TWO right-hand 140 planes then?
Ha! No, I have not. I finally got to use a 140 and decided that I like it. I also confirmed my suspicion that the planes right-handed left-handed nomenclature is, well, backwards. I am a righty, but using the right-handed plane, I am convinced that the left-handed version would suit me better, from an ergonomics perspective. So I now search for the holy grail of LN 140s: the left-handed version. Stay tuned........

(10-30-2020, 08:10 AM)Cian Wrote: This is promising. So did you find TWO right-hand 140 planes then?
Phillip, I have question similar to yours regarding the right/left orientation of the LN skew plane.  I would probably have preferred to have the open side of the plane facing inward (I am right-handed).  Here is an example:  If the task at hand was planing a tenon cheek,  it would be more natural to have the tenon extending to the right and the tenon shoulder and the open side of the plane immediately ahead of my right thumb.  My plane is like your current one; the outfeed side of the plane is just ahead of my middle finger.  This is mostly when the plane is being used without the removeable cheek, of course.  I would not know for sure which I preferred unless I could use both at an LN tool event, I suppose.
Though many fables have mentioned the elusive left-handed 140 skew block plane, few have ever been sighted in the wild, until today. Behold, the left-handed 140 skew block plane, in all its glory. It does exist folks, and according to LN, it will return once the world returns to normal. And yes, the left-handed version seems perfect for me, a righty.

Congrats, Phil!! I know your kids are older now so I am guessing you didn’t have to trade one for the plane??! And I look forward to LN and the world being back to producing “normal”!!

Kevin
That looks nearly new.  Glad you found it!
Kevin: Ha, no, the kids are safe, although I will admit I did have to reach a bit on an ebay auction for this one, but at least the search is over. LN mentioned having some issues with the molds used for the castings for the LH version and the difficulty in getting things like this resolved during these dark times. I'm sure things will be back to normal some time next year. Meanwhile I will be enjoying my new to me 140! Phil

(11-17-2020, 07:24 PM)kwadams Wrote: Congrats, Phil!! I know your kids are older now so I am guessing you didn’t have to trade one for the plane??! And I look forward to LN and the world being back to producing “normal”!!

Kevin
Thanks! I did use a fair bit of Autosol to get it cleaned up and shining, but I find a tool is like a car in that regard: it runs better when its cleaned a waxed!

(11-17-2020, 07:48 PM)grwold Wrote: That looks nearly new.  Glad you found it!
Bravo!
[Image: HardtofindQualifiedDouglasfirbarkbeetle-...ricted.gif]