Dust masks?
So what is everyone else doing for dust masks since they have been made of unobtanioum for the last 10 months and the medical field has confiscated all of our masks... 

For painting and other needs with nasty chemicals etc I have gone from cartridges which are also not available to a conversion kit to make my mask a fresh air respirator. I have to run a second compressor and have another hose etc but it's far better than filters. I need some more regular dust masks but all I have found are those child sized KN95 masks with ear loops instead of real elastic bands. We can't even get any for construction work either.
I was using the valved N95 masks; usually a Honeywell-branded product available at Menard's.  I reused each until they were absolutely filthy and then got a new one out of the box.  I had 10 masks when the craziness hit.  I haven't seen that style in quite some time.

I have a Dust Be Gone masks that I got at a woodworking show years ago, but I don't use it in the shop anymore.  I use it when I go to the store or when I'm mowing.

I had been considering a more "permanent" reusable solution for a while, and settled on THIS one from Amazon.  Seems to work well.

I also had been considering getting a half-face mask for toxic vapors.  I really wanted to go with the 3M product, but as noted, it wasn't available.  Ended up getting one of these.   It came with a set of cartridges, and it is compatible with the 3M cartridges.  I've used it once, and it's reasonably comfortable.  The 3M masks are showing as "in stock" but you really don't know unless you put it in the cart and order it up.

Of course, I'm only a hobbyist, and so I don't know if any of the solutions above will satisfy the OSHA bubbas if they come around lookin' at stuff.
I have a couple of  1/2 mask respirators and maybe enough cartridges/filters to last a little while longer.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Been using AO or 3M half face respirators for years with P100 filters. Dust masks are useless for the dust particles we create.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(10-27-2020, 08:37 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: So what is everyone else doing for dust masks since they have been made of unobtanioum for the last 10 months and the medical field has confiscated all of our masks... 

For painting and other needs with nasty chemicals etc I have gone from cartridges which are also not available to a conversion kit to make my mask a fresh air respirator. I have to run a second compressor and have another hose etc but it's far better than filters. I need some more regular dust masks but all I have found are those child sized KN95 masks with ear loops instead of real elastic bands. We can't even get any for construction work either.

I haven't seen the 3m masks available for a while, but have seen some alternatives for P100/N100 filtration:
Elipse P100 (local woodcraft and online with highland woodworker) 
Trend Air Stealth N100  (think this was local woodcraft)

Matt
Ive always used respirators from 3M. I was able to order a new on amazon about a month ago.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Personal-Prote...98e0b800f6
(10-27-2020, 08:37 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: So what is everyone else doing for dust masks since they have been made of unobtanioum for the last 10 months and the medical field has confiscated all of our masks... 

I always look at Amazon first. They seem to have an endless selection available.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=dust+masks+..._ss_i_3_10

--
See ya later,
Bill
Amazon tried to sell me another 3m half face mask a while back, but the filters are not available.  Since 3m doesn't like to make money, it would nice if someone that does would make some compatible filters
I've got half and full mask respirators (North), and a few cartridges before all this started, so for finishing I use one of those.

For general dust I've been using an RZ mask (the M2.5 one). I'm really impressed with it. They go in and out of stock on the website, but keep you eye on it and you'll be able to snag one. I wear glasses and have had no problems with fogging (If I'm using the valve as opposed to the cap for COVID uses). The stock filter also has a carbon filter, and I've been around some strongly scented stuff where I can't smell it, then when I take the mask off I'm surprised by how intense it is. Figured these are good signs I'm getting a good seal. And it doesn't fog up my glasses.

Just checked. Currently in stock...

Mark

(10-28-2020, 10:54 AM)jussi Wrote: Ive always used respirators from 3M.  I was able to order a new on amazon about a month ago.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Personal-Prote...98e0b800f6

It took me a while to figure out that the last digit in the model number was connected to the size.

The one in the link looks to be a medium.

Any idea how to figure out what size one needs (other ordering one of each size and trying them on)?

thanks in advance
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.