Dust masks?
I have used a 3M product for years.  I needed a new box last fall and I discovered that the local safety place I had bought them from had closed.  I still had a couple left when Big Dave showed up at my house with a brochure for these guys.  So I ordered one.  Filters have been a bit tough to get since the Vid hit but they do get them and I stocked up so I will be good for a few years.  What I really liked about them is they also have a active carbon filter which is supposed to help with odors.  So far for dust I have been very happy with it.  I have not tried it for odors yet, but one day I will need to stain something and we will see how well they work.

https://rzmask.com/collections/products
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
(10-28-2020, 12:18 PM)msweig Wrote: I've got half and full mask respirators (North), and a few cartridges before all this started, so for finishing I use one of those.

For general dust I've been using an RZ mask (the M2.5 one). I'm really impressed with it. They go in and out of stock on the website, but keep you eye on it and you'll be able to snag one. I wear glasses and have had no problems with fogging (If I'm using the valve as opposed to the cap for COVID uses). The stock filter also has a carbon filter, and I've been around some strongly scented stuff where I can't smell it, then when I take the mask off I'm surprised by how intense it is. Figured these are good signs I'm getting a good seal. And it doesn't fog up my glasses.

Just checked. Currently in stock...

Mark

I saw those quite a while back but was skeptical about how well they would filter out various dusts. I might give one a try and see.

I haven't been doing any woodworking lately other than stuff I have to do for the house. Burned out and mainly working on cars right now so lots of dust and rust sanding and grinding and welding. Since I couldn't get filters for my masks I use one of these along with a full face shield respirator so my eyes don't burn from the primers and paints. I use a second compressor to feed it that is outside the shop. It is so much more comfortable with cool dry air flowing in the mask as well.

The mask is well made and is a perfect fit and very comfortable but beware of the filters. Most of them come with knockoff 3M filters. I would not want to use it for long periods of time though.

[Image: 71B4NwBhYLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
             [Image: 51drfr65LjL._AC_SL1000_.jpg]
I use RZ masks they recently had a 20% off there website so I picked up a 2.5
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”
iclark
Any idea how to figure out what size one needs (other ordering one of each size and trying them on)?

thanks in advance

When I had a day job it was necessary for any employee on the manufacturing floor to have a respirator with them at all times. That also meant we had to do an annual fit check to insure we had the right size. The only way we had to determine size was try it on, something I'm sure wouldn't work in a consumer setting. There was some guessing involved, if you had what appeared to be a slightly larger face (or smaller one) you started with those sizes...but the storeroom bought more medium size than any other by a huge amount; it seems to do just fine for a high percentage of folks.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-31-2020, 05:51 AM)fredhargis Wrote: iclark
Any idea how to figure out what size one needs (other ordering one of each size and trying them on)?

thanks in advance

When I had a day job it was necessary for any employee on the manufacturing floor to have a respirator with them at all times. That also meant we had to do an annual fit check to insure we had the right size. The only way we had to determine size was try it on, something I'm sure wouldn't work in a consumer setting. There was some guessing involved, if you had what appeared to be a slightly larger face (or smaller one) you started with those sizes...but the storeroom bought more medium size than any other by a huge amount; it seems to do just fine for a high percentage of folks.

thanks
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.