Safety button on circular saw trigger
Just bought a Makita 6-1/2", 18 volt cordless circular saw.  It has a safety button that has to be pressed and held in order to pull the trigger.  Googling I found that this safety button is common and is called the "lock off" button.

My old corded 7-1/4" Rockwell circular saw doesn't have a lock off safety button and I've been using it safely for 40 years.

When was the "lock off" button made mandatory for power tools?
(10-27-2020, 08:47 PM)SkyGlider Wrote: Just bought a Makita 6-1/2", 18 volt cordless circular saw.  It has a safety button that has to be pressed and held in order to pull the trigger.  Googling I found that this safety button is common and is called the "lock off" button.

My old corded 7-1/4" Rockwell circular saw doesn't have a lock off safety button and I've been using it safely for 40 years.

My corded Makita/Ryobi (can't remember which!)  is many, many years old and has one.  Don't even notice it anymore.
I don't know that it is (required) but the Festool corded saw has it as well. Not really that big a deal.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-28-2020, 05:04 AM)KC Wrote: My corded Makita/Ryobi (can't remember which!)  is many, many years old and has one.  Don't even notice it anymore.

Many, many years old? ... Never knew that the lock off button even existed till now.  Guess using my old Rockwell circular saw kept me insulated too long.
Thanks.
(10-28-2020, 05:18 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I don't know that it is (required) but the Festool corded saw has it as well. Not really that big a deal.

The little I used my new circular saw so far the lock off button seemed to be such a pain. Guess it just takes getting used to.
If anyone knows when it was first instituted, it would be nice to know.  Haven't had any luck Googling it.

Thanks.
(10-27-2020, 08:47 PM)SkyGlider Wrote: Just bought a Makita 6-1/2", 18 volt cordless circular saw.  It has a safety button that has to be pressed and held in order to pull the trigger.  Googling I found that this safety button is common and is called the "lock off" button.

I just checked my Craftsman, Makita, and Festool circulars saws, only the Festool has a safety lock off feature. I've had some power tools that had lock on buttons.

Cordless tools should have a lock off button since you can't unplug them. The safety lock off prevents accidently starting the tool while carrying it.

---
See ya later,
Bill
I just got a new dewalt angle grinder with a paddle trigger.  It had a lockout on the trigger.  What a PITA to actuate wearing gloves, which you will certainly be wearing when grinding or cutting with this tool.  
No. I understand the reason for the lockout, but their design sucks for a tool they KNOW you'll be gloved up for safety. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I've got a 40yr old Craftsman Sawmill with a top mounted safety slide. Luckily it is so old it normally does not work.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(10-28-2020, 05:59 AM)Bill_de Wrote: I just checked my Craftsman, Makita, and Festool circulars saws, only the Festool has a safety lock off feature. I've had some power tools that had lock on buttons.

Cordless tools should have a lock off button since you can't unplug them. The safety lock off prevents accidently starting the tool while carrying it.

---

Remember about how old your Festool circular saw is?

I can see the logic of cordless circular saws having the lock off button that you mentioned.
Not faulting your comment but just saying, using my corded circular saw on the job with an extension cord I never pulled the trigger accidentally while carrying it and there is the blade guard in case I did. 

Thanks.
Recently got a couple new power tools that had lock-off features, one of them a Makita miter saw. Seemed like it would be a bit awkward for a left-handed user.