tRIM rOUTER
I had an older colt as well and had similar complaints about back lash. Moved onto the dewalt 611 and loved it and earlier this year went cordless and love it even more
(10-29-2020, 07:45 PM)weelis Wrote: ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A DECENT BUT NOT OVERY EXPENSIVE TRIM ROUTER?  THE ONE i HAVE HAS TOO BIG A BASE PLATE TO CUT THE MORTISES i WANT.  thanks FOR ANY 

SUGGESTIONS.

I like the Colt for tight places, but since getting the DeWalt the Colt tends to collect a bit of dust. 

--
See ya later,
Bill
(10-29-2020, 07:45 PM)weelis Wrote: ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A DECENT BUT NOT OVERY EXPENSIVE TRIM ROUTER?  THE ONE i HAVE HAS TOO BIG A BASE PLATE TO CUT THE MORTISES i WANT.  thanks FOR ANY 

SUGGESTIONS.

I want to recommend the Milwaukee Fuel 18V trim router. I love mine. See this thread, my post towards the bottom

I see it listed as "not available" on some sites, including Home Depot, which is where I bought it. I don't know what that means. EDIT: I think the kit with the free battery is no longer available, but the router appears to be.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
The DeWalt is a very good tool, and a plunge base is available, which I’ve found very useful.
I have the Colt PR20 and the DW611 both with fixed and plunge bases. Both work well. I guess I'm fortunate that my PR20 hasn't given me any problems in the 10+ years I've had it.

SUGGESTIONS.
By "base plate", if you are referring to the removable plastic base, it is pretty easy to get a piece of 1/4" acrylic and make your own to what ever shape and size you need.
(10-30-2020, 02:01 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I really like my Rigid trim router.  Very good ergonomics for my hand.  But it's hard to beat the versatility of the Makita and all the knockoffs of it from Grizzly, Rocky, and probably others.  There are so many attachments for it to increase its versatility that it's something to consider if you need more than just a trim router.  I bought the Grizzly version a couple of years ago with base and plunge base for $80.  

John

I have the Grizzly trim router too. Router and both bases for same $ as Bosch wanted for just the plunge base for the Colt. I imagine the Grizzly and MLCS have more crude castings and possibly depth stop. I've never seen the Makita from which they're knocked off so can't compare. The plunge base on the Grizzly seems solid and smooth, the dust collection of the fixed base is really pretty good. My biggest complaint is that torque drops off pretty fast with lower RPMs. But then how often do we run big bits in a router with a 1/4" collet? I'm sure the torque at low RPMs would be fine for something like a veining bit.
Why has no one mentioned the Makitas? Both the corded and cordless are fantastic! The cordless is better (a tad more power and a built-in LED), but at double the price.

The dust collection is superb, there are multiple bases available, and it is a super balanced and ergonomic trim router.

On a base of my own (with a LV light) ...

[Image: Main.jpg]

Pretty decent plunge base ...

[Image: Makita_plunge_base.jpg]

Run out was excellent ..

[Image: Collet2.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I have the Rigid. It's decent enough, but not great. Depth adjustment is good, easy to set close then fine tune to the exact depth. Never had a power issue, plenty for trim work and then some. My biggest gripe is the nut to hold the bit, there is no good way to tighten/loosen it, the opening gives just a fraction of an inch to fit the given wrench in. I've tossed it an use a box wrench. I'm guessing the engineers never tried to use it.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Amazon has a Bosch $20 off $100 promo right now.  So if you add the Bosch Colt with a pack of jigsaw blades the total will be a little over $80

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Colt-Variab...32fc490INT

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-10-Piece-As...=hi&sr=1-2