Any restrictions to putting an electrical outlet next to toilet?
Wife wants a Toto and that requires an outlet next to the toilet. I’m assuming it needs to be a GFCI, but am wondering if there might be anything else in the codes.
 Search is not helpful or maybe I’m not asking the right way.
VH07V  
Here in Fl. as long as it's protected, GFCI, you're good.
A GFCI is fine...............
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Unless it is for a bidet   
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

My dad put one in when he was 85.  The next time I was over at the house he wanted to demonstrate it to me.  He reaches over to the wash button and the little stem comes out of hiding and a warm stream of water starts to spray to the front of the bowl.  Since there was no one in that space to be cleansed the stream continued on its trajectory and proceeded to thoroughly wet the front of my fathers shirt since he was standing in front of the bowl.

I was useless to stop the stream as I was doubled over in laughter.  My dad was known as having a great sense of humor but only at someone else's expense.   It still makes me laugh as I type this.  
Big Grin

Yes it worked flawlessly for about 15 years until he passed away and we sold the house, bidet and all. Toto quality strikes again.

He used a short extension cord over to a non gfci near the sink.  The house was built in the 1950's The boxes were metal and the wires ran in BX or similar cable.
We have one next to our shower. I questioned the electrician and he said it was perfectly legal, and it was inspected. Of course every place will have different rules, and this was 10 years ago also.
On a side note, it should be "no less that 15" off the floor" <- NEC
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Outlet now installed and “apparently” it’s to code!
VH07V  
Well it's better than over in GB where you practically can't have a single receptacle (unless it's a really big room) in a bathroom/washroom/toilet however you can have those deathtrap electric showers that either have the heating element in the showerhead or in a box on the wall in the shower... Explain to me how that is safer than a receptacle in a bathroom...

Take codes with a grain of salt. They might be the requirements but they are not always the best or safest way of doing things. It's typical bureaucracy and many codes are enacted due to someone lobbying the board to get their product required by code...
Here is the National Electrical Code (NEC) for bathrooms.  No mention of toilets.

https://www.thespruce.com/national-elect...ms-1152275
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-02-2020, 08:28 AM)Cooler Wrote: Here is the National Electrical Code (NEC) for bathrooms.  No mention of toilets.

https://www.thespruce.com/national-elect...ms-1152275

That article is a little fuzzy, but unless something changed (I haven't been keeping up), there are two ways to wire a bathroom.  The whole room, including the receptacle(s) next to the sink, plus the fan and all lighting, can be on a single 20A circuit with no other rooms or loads on it.  Or the entire room can be on it's own circuit or share with another room or rooms, but the receptacles must be on their own 20A circuit, which can be shared with the receptacles (only) in another bathroom or bathrooms.

Heaters or heat lamps may require another circuit, but I don't remember any more.  As I said, I haven't been keeping up.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"