Do I need an air dryer for HVLP?
Hi:

I finally gave in and bought the Harbor Freight "purple gun" HVLP sprayer for a princely $7.00.  Of course when you add in paint filters, extra paint cups and cleaning kit a bit more.

So now I am wondering what kind of filter or air dryer I need to use the sprayer.  My projects include patio furniture, a workmate and a grinder refurb.  Someday I may even finish wood.  But no cars.

What is the acquired wisdom as to anything I need between the sprayer and the compressor besides a hose and pressure regulator?

Thanks, and be well,
DM
I put one of these on my gun. I am like you I do small projects so I am not spraying for hours on end. One time over the past 5 years or so I had some water actually accumulate in the separator. I am in western NY and spray WB products in my basement.

https://www.harborfreight.com/oilwater-s...68246.html
The drier is always a good idea, and the HF one is plenty cheap. Do you posilutely need it 100% of the time, probably not....but it's cheap insurance.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I think it depends upon where you are and what you want to spray.  I live in WNY also, and also only spray WB products (and shellac) and have nothing more than the standard oil/water separator on the tank regulator and on the secondary regulator 20 ft from my gun, plus an inline filter at the gun inlet.  I've never had a problem with oil/water contamination, even when I spray for an hour, but I can imagine this setup might not be sufficient in a more humid environment.  

In any case, start simple and low cost, and add stuff only if your separator and/or filter fills up with water.    

John