Back Home in Indiana with the Atkins -- Envy of the Neighborhood
(11-01-2020, 08:57 PM)Phil S. Wrote: I was going to brag on my Disston 114, but that 392 has got me beat.
Smirk

I may not be able to beat that 392 either but I've got an interesting No. 53.  Etch on the front is OK with some rust that would have been slightly tragic but then you look at the teeth and wonder what was going on.  Flip it over and find the back side fully etched with explanations.  Must have been a display model of some sort.  Has front half filed as rip and back have as cross cut "Cut Off" with examples of various filing techniques for a total of 10 different examples, some purposefully flawed.

I keep saying no more saws when I go out estate sale-ing but then I occasionally run across something I just feel the need to drag home.  Too bad about the rust on the blade otherwise this would be something.

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-02-2020, 09:26 AM)andrewb Wrote: I may not be able to beat that 392 either but I've got an interesting No. 53.  Etch on the front is OK with some rust that would have been slightly tragic but then you look at the teeth and wonder what was going on.  Flip it over and find the back side fully etched with explanations.  Must have been a display model of some sort.  Has front half filed as rip and back have as cross cut "Cut Off" with examples of various filing techniques for a total of 10 different examples, some purposefully flawed.

I keep saying no more saws when I go out estate sale-ing but then I occasionally run across something I just feel the need to drag home.  Too bad about the rust on the blade otherwise this would be something.

Andrew
That is an amazing find.  Was this a sales aid or perhaps a display piece in a really complete saw department?
Getting back to Chris's original tree trimming topic, I have tried a few of my saws to trim small (3" or less") limbs.  They really bind in the cut and get gummed up  My big tree saw is too cumbersome to use alone.   In my till there is an Atkins saw that is stainless steel that could be refiled.  I was thinking that 6ppi or less might be about right; with lots of set.
(11-01-2020, 12:04 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: [Image: IMG-0602.jpg]

You win. That is a beautiful saw.
(11-02-2020, 09:26 AM)andrewb Wrote: I may not be able to beat that 392 either but I've got an interesting No. 53.  Etch on the front is OK with some rust that would have been slightly tragic but then you look at the teeth and wonder what was going on.  Flip it over and find the back side fully etched with explanations.  Must have been a display model of some sort.  Has front half filed as rip and back have as cross cut "Cut Off" with examples of various filing techniques for a total of 10 different examples, some purposefully flawed.

Andrew

You have an Atkins "Demonstration" hand saw intended for vocational schools.
Somewhere, I have an image with brief description, but haven't yet found it.

If there's enough interest, I may try harder.
(11-29-2020, 05:37 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: You have an Atkins "Demonstration" hand saw intended for vocational schools.
Somewhere, I have an image with brief description, but haven't yet found it.

If there's enough interest, I may try harder.

Thanks, Joe!  I was able to find it in a catalog based on your info - shows in catalog no 24 from 1954.  Wasn't listed in the prior catalog from 1950 but I didn't look any further than that.
(11-02-2020, 11:25 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: Getting back to Chris's original tree trimming topic, I have tried a few of my saws to trim small (3" or less") limbs.  They really bind in the cut and get gummed up  My big tree saw is too cumbersome to use alone.   In my till there is an Atkins saw that is stainless steel that could be refiled.  I was thinking that 6ppi or less might be about right; with lots of set.

Picked up a pro level pruning saw at a local Restore. Brand new, w/leather scabbard, sharpest and most aggressive set of teeth I have seen, short of a Great white...Only about a 14" curved blade. Took several attempts to trim branches effectively, until something finally "clicked". So much easier to use than a bow or straight saw, once the learning curve has been broached...Looks like it can be mounted on an extension pole for that hard to reach place (the one that is up in the air).
Can''t remember the brand, but there are several versions available...
A good pruning saw is an eye opener. LOML had a "Fanno" limb saw from her first husband.
( Who had apparently no idea how to sharpen or maintain a saw, but I digress )

After sharpening, it has become a valuable tool in the garden shed.

Made in Chico, Ca. USA.

https://www.fannosawworks.com/
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(11-01-2020, 02:58 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: +2 !!!

"I've Never Seen Its Equal" !

I have 4 or 5 saws of that type never looked to see who made them.  I have one that I have never unwrapped from the newspaper it was wrapped in from 68 by the saw sharpener.  Funny I have to say all were picked up at estate sales and were picked up because I just couldn't leave them there
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.