Kitchen knives...which ones to buy or build?
I am looking to get my wife some knives. What we have is ok but as I am becoming more active in the kitchen I see that she could use some better stuff.  I had thought about vintage and rehandling them or buy a few excellent Japanese knives. 

If money isn't an issue (it always is but I could start with one or two if they are way too much)...what brand(s) do you suggest?

I had thought about vixtorinox as I like their pocket knives and add a couple Damascus steel Japanese knives.

Also I saw a Chris Schwartz article years ago about storing cutting tools on a magnetic strip would magnetize them...has anyone seen that to be true?

Thanks for any thoughts.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I have made a number (10+) knives for myself, as gifts and to sell from the Zhen kits from Woodcraft. My research had shown them to be pretty good quality V10 steel in Damascus.

From the paring knife to the chef knife they are excellent quality and done properly they make an excellent finished knife, you also can't beat the price.

Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
Those are nice looking for sure.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
It depends......

Does she respect knives, or do they come out of the dishwasher with eating utensils after she loads and starts a clean? 

Is her favorite knife a 12-inch blade for taking down bear; either by club or hatchet? 

Do they walk the fine line between stainless rust and butter spatula?

We decided to clean the knife/gizmo drawer. (Why give burglars an easy choice?)....

We picked our favorites. I piled up what was impossible to sharpen, or useless. She picked her best--every one my least liked. I mean, everyone knows a bread knife can't cut styrofoam, right?

I thought a bargain sale on a Wusthof pair would be classic class. Meh.

Our hands are different. The mass I like to grip accentuates her carpel tunnel.

The best knife I found to care for and use, a known name with chess board grid but god knows what kind of steel (with a crappy baby handle) came from an overstock reseller, TMax, for no more than $15.

The summary is, try to train her to hand wash the knives.....
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(11-02-2020, 01:14 PM)hbmcc Wrote: It depends......

Does she respect knives, or do they come out of the dishwasher with eating utensils after she loads and starts a clean? 

Is her favorite knife a 12-inch blade for taking down bear; either by club or hatchet? 

Do they walk the fine line between stainless rust and butter spatula?

We decided to clean the knife/gizmo drawer. (Why give burglars an easy choice?)....

We picked our favorites. I piled up what was impossible to sharpen, or useless. She picked her best--every one my least liked. I mean, everyone knows a bread knife can't cut styrofoam, right?

I thought a bargain sale on a Wusthof pair would be classic class. Meh.

Our hands are different. The mass I like to grip accentuates her carpel tunnel.

The best knife I found to care for and use, a known name with chess board grid but god knows what kind of steel (with a crappy baby handle) came from an overstock reseller, TMax, for no more than $15.

The summary is, try to train her to hand wash the knives.....
I would just ask what type of cutting board one uses...any type of cutting board harder than the steel will turn the edge of the hardest ordinary knife steels...Even a wood board will blunt the edge because wood contains silica, a material harder than steel...so any type of knife steel will require periodic sharpening...The better quality knives will as well, but should take longer to do so,.Just because you pay lots of money for a knife, does not mean it will always be as sharp as when you bought it.

Many people believe the Victorinox brand is the best bang for the buck, and use the money saved for an expensive japanese knife to buy a good Butcher's steel and a bamboo cutting board and learn how to use the steel to keep the knife sharp..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

If you are both going to use the same knives then I suggest that both agree with which chef's knives feel best in your hands - if you want a set. Then see about the steel. LOML uses good knives to cut stuff in the pan. After I complained, she hand washes them but then stacks dishes on them. I have given up. When she says they need sharpening, I take them to the shop and use the 1" belt sander to tune them up quickly. Top quality would be wasted on her. She is happy and I no longer fret. However, she is a truly top-notch cook.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(11-02-2020, 09:57 PM)cputnam Wrote: If you are both going to use the same knives then I suggest that both agree with which chef's knives feel best in your hands - if you want a set.  Then see about the steel.  LOML uses good knives to cut stuff in the pan.  After I complained, she hand washes them but then stacks dishes on them.  I have given up.  When she says they need sharpening, I take them to the shop and use the 1" belt sander to tune them up quickly.  Top quality would be wasted on her.  She is happy and I  no longer fret.  However, she is a truly top-notch cook.

You can spend lots of money on tools for sharpening but the "El-Cheapo" 1"X30" belt sander/grinder from Harbor Freight can be a tool sharpener's best friend!!!!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I think it is hard to buy knives as a gift.  It is a lot like chisels, the steel is one thing, but the fit of the handle to the hand , the weight of the knife, and the  shape of the blade are far more important in finding a knife you like to use.  If you like the standard western shape, the Victorinox is hard to beat.  If you want to splurge, and want a similar shape, but a heavier knife, the Bob Kramer by Zwilling is very nice. I have one of each,  and the Victorinox holds it own at a fraction of the price.   If she likes a straight knife in a Japanese style,  it is hard to beat the Tojiro DP Gyotou  - it is VG 10 - though again, a totally different feel  - it doesn't have a belly like many western knives
I like the reviews from America's Test Kitchen. They use kitchen knives every day. Their favorite chef's knife is a Victorinox. They also like the Victorinox paring knives. Inexpensive, and the handle is textured for a good grip. Among professional chefs, Henckels and Wustoff get good ratings, but make sure you get the ones made in Germany - not their cheaper Asian ones. From a Japanese standpoint, Shun seems to get a lot of high ratings. I own one of the Victorinox chef knives. It's decent, but it doesn't feel as substantial as my Wustoff, which has a thicker, heavier blade.

One thing to consider about kitchen knives is when sharpening, make sure you sharpen to the correct angle. They tend to have shallower or more acute angles than a pocket knife. If you use your pocket knife setup, you'll notice they won't work as well. That is especially true for paring knives or when slicing things like tomatoes. I also use a sharpening steel prior to use, and that makes a huge difference, especially if you've been cutting through bone like when carving a turkey or cutting up a whole chicken into parts.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Our go-to knife is a sorry looking relic from an auction—just happened to be in a lot with something we wanted. I think it says "Vanco." We've had it maybe 15-20 years and have never sharpened it. Rinse, wipe dry after use to avoid rust. Blade appears to have been plated, but is now essentially black.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson