How would you do this joint. Horizontal router
I needed to make a mortise on the curved section of the rail. The only way I could think of is establish a wall with a slot cutter and then chisel the rest.

I literally spent an hour trying to think of a purely power tool solution. I have both dominos and a jds multi router but none had long enough bits to reach the wall when referenced off the flat side. Am I missing something obvious? Is there a power tool solution?

Attached Files Image(s)

Could you have created a saddle out of scrap that would be flat for the router to ride on? Then cut the slot in the flat part and used a bearing guide bit with the bearing at the top of the bit by the shank to ride the slot?
If I did that and only had a couple to do - do it the way you did - maybe drill some holes.  If I had to do several I would make a jig to allow a router to ride on.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
A long bit would work with your Multi-router as long as you take really light cuts to minimize bit whip.  You can buy 1/2" router bits and end mills up to about 6" long.  4 flute, center cutting, or roughing end mills work well.  But for one or two, if I didn't have an end mill long enough to do it, I'd drill out the waste on the drill press and chop/pare the rest with a chisel.  

John