Grrrippers losing their grrrip?
Just an FYI: I had a couple Grippers for years and really liked them but when I got into 3D printing I made a few Gripper style blocks. Those totally replaced the Grippers in my shop and instead of using the soft/rubbery material like the gripper has, I use adhesive backed sandpaper for the bottom side of those blocks. You might consider that or I know some folks that have the printed versions also glued some tool box drawer liner to the surfaces. Just something to consider before dumping a ton of money on replacements.

Here is a pic of the 3D printed versions although I don't have a pic of the bottoms. 
Wink

2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(11-04-2020, 06:57 AM)Ruffturn® Wrote: The replacement parts on Amazon aren't that bad, considering what I paid for them when they were new.

Also consider that Festool (and presumably other track saw manufacturers) sell replacement self-adhesive friction strips which will probably work.  They work well on my Festool.  

The DeWalt version is cheaper:  https://www.zoro.com/dewalt-track-saw-fr...gLzxvD_BwE
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I don't have a Gripper, but I do have 3 of the Grr-rip blocks I bought when Lowes clearanced them for $5. They have the same grip pad material and all of mine lost their grip. Interesting (to me) was that the alcohol restored 2 of them after one cleaning but the third one I've now cleaned 4 times and it only recovered some of it's grip. They don't seem to sell replacement pads for these. I'll try cleaning a couple fof more times since each attempt seemed to have a small effect.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-05-2020, 08:44 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I don't have a Gripper, but I do have 3 of the Grr-rip blocks I bought when Lowes clearanced them for $5. They have the same grip pad material and all of mine lost their grip. Interesting (to me) was that the alcohol restored 2 of them after one cleaning but the third one I've now cleaned 4 times and it only recovered some of it's grip. They don't seem to sell replacement pads for these. I'll try cleaning a couple fof more times since each attempt seemed to have a small effect.
Try a scrub brush and soap and water.  There is probably some sawdust embedded in the surface.  Once you remove that, it should be good to go.  Or expose fresh surface by using some 400 grit sandpaper on the surface and then washing it with soap and water.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-05-2020, 08:44 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I don't have a Gripper, but I do have 3 of the Grr-rip blocks I bought when Lowes clearanced them for $5. They have the same grip pad material and all of mine lost their grip. Interesting (to me) was that the alcohol restored 2 of them after one cleaning but the third one I've now cleaned 4 times and it only recovered some of it's grip. They don't seem to sell replacement pads for these. I'll try cleaning a couple fof more times since each attempt seemed to have a small effect.

Mine has become hard and kinda dried out very slick. I removed the green rubber and cleaned it then stuck on sandpaper.  Works great now, Better than new
Cool easy to replace again when needed.
Thanks Lumber Yard
Smile
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Just for the record, MicroJig recommends denatured or rubbing alcohol to clean the Green Grip material on the GRR-RIPPERs and GRR-RIP Blocks. 

Wax from your tables and resins/sap from the wood builds up on them over time. Tiny dirt particles get embedded. You can tell if the green is looking black. 

For a first cleaning, I would pour about 1/8” of alcohol in a shallow pan, set the GRR-RIPPER in it for a few minutes, then wipe clean. Should restore the grip to like new.

I have gotten in the habit of cleaning once a month or so (I use mine every day). Wal-Greens and CVS now sell rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, 91%. A couple of sprays and wipe clean. 

A recent project cutting Comaru required cleaning the GRR-RIPPERs in the middle of a day’s cutting. It is a tropical hardwood and very oily. 

Also, all MicroJig products are now warranted for three years, so keep that in mind if you have issues.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(11-03-2020, 12:42 PM)Ruffturn® Wrote: Thanks!

Good to see you ck'in back in bud!!!
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020