Cordless Drill-Driver Recommendation
If you happen upon a brand not made in China, would you post back which one it is? PS, I've been switching to Rigid for the reasons given above.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-03-2020, 03:30 PM)fredhargis Wrote: If you happen upon a brand not made in China, would you post back which one it is? PS, I've been switching to Rigid for the reasons given above.

see the link two posts above.
I should have said "that aren't Festool"....I won't buy new Festool products. But thanks for pointing that out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
After considering the recommendations I bought the DeWalt hammer drill/impact driver combo. I read the ProTools review on Milwaukie and DeWalt and it seemed like a tossup. I like the Milwaukie sawzall I've got, but the equivalent combo pack I found on amazon stated made in china. the dewalt likely has chinese made components but they have been bringing more manufacturing back to the US over the years.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I've had excellent service from my 12v Bosch tools. The new brushless impact has 2 speed/torque settings. Low is perfect for small screws and prevents overdriving.

I would consider the Bosch flexclik too, has the quick change heads. Offset, drill chuck, right angle angle and hex driver. I was impressed by the heft and mostly metal construction of the attachments.

Ed
(11-03-2020, 05:30 PM)SteveS Wrote: After considering the recommendations I bought the DeWalt hammer drill/impact driver combo. I read the ProTools review on Milwaukie and DeWalt and it seemed like a tossup. I like the Milwaukie sawzall I've got, but the equivalent combo pack I found on amazon stated made in china. the dewalt likely has chinese made components but they have been bringing more manufacturing back to the US over the years.

Looks like you made a good choice and hit your budget target. I've had plenty of Dewalt products (including drills) over the years with no complaints. Couple of years ago I needed to upgrade and also needed the capacity of an impact driver for a particular job. Went with the comparable Ridgid combo and have been pleased (HD had them discounted IIRC). Also took advantage of the annual sale HD has on the Ridgid batteries to have plenty of backup power.

Good luck,

Doug
I recently got the Milwaukee surge. If you don’t know about it It’s milwaukee’s version of hydraulic impact driver. 2 big improvements it has over the traditional impact is the greatly reduced vibration and more importantly the noise. It has less peak torque than an equivalent traditional impact but the force it provides is constant. It doesn’t need to ramp up as much so you can drive screws faster. Plus for me I doubt I will ever come close to maxing it out.

I have both dewalt and Milwaukee medium duty drill drivers and found both to love comprable. If you need a lot of power dewalt currently has a promo on their select voltage 20/60 v at HD
(11-03-2020, 10:37 AM)SteveS Wrote: While I have gotten my monies' worth out of my 1993 9.6V Makita, I think it's time for an upgrade. While I don't think I need an impact driver I'm open to that option. Mostly I use it for drilling wood and metal and driving lots of screws. I also have use it for power sanding and buffing for woodturning on occasion. I don't want one made in China if possible. Max I want to spend on a driver/charger/battery kit is $300.

DeWalt advertises some of their stuff made in USA, but has their quality remained good?

I use older versions of this pair. If what I have fail I will replace them with this kit. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-2-Tool-12...lsrc=aw.ds

I also have the oscillating tool and reciprocating 12v tools. They are all work horses, particularly for their size.
See ya later,
Bill
(11-03-2020, 04:30 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I should have said "that aren't Festool"....I won't buy new Festool products. But thanks for pointing that out.

Care to share why ?

Not made in China and not FT/ made in Germany , you have rather limited yourself on tool options.  Especially drills. 

I respect that everyone’s priorities are different.
(11-03-2020, 11:17 AM)cpolubin Wrote: Take a look at the Ridgid drivers. 

The Ridgid drivers are largeyly under-rated. It's very good kit.

(11-03-2020, 02:03 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: For everyday woodshop and household use, I'd buy a Milwaukee M-12 12 volt drill driver. 

What he said. I use M-12 drivers around the shop.  Nearly all my tasks are woodshop or around-the-home-DIY related, and the Milwaukee M-12 drivers are the right size for these kind of jobs.  I have many of the tools in the M-12 line and with the extended run batteries, they compete if not exceed the performance of full-size drivers of a generation ago.