Something to build, for Christmas
A bit of shopping, today....a 1/4" x 24" x 48" Luann panel..

And a small bag of screws to install it with..

Once the panel has been trimmed to size.   need to make a few 1 x 2 Pine cleats, and install them....then glue and screw the panel to the cleats....too thin?   Well after I then add a 1/4" layer of Aromatic Red Cedar...bottom of the chest would then be 1/2" thick,,,
Cool 

Tear the dry fit apart...slowly...leave one end in place, add a bead of glue to the other one..install that, with the small c clamp at the "foot"   repeat for the other end...then add glue to the other tongues and attach the other Front/Back panel...then the Brigade of Clamps arrives...
Rolleyes 

and the other end..

There was a slight mis-alignment at the "front feet"   need a clamp and a long caul...

This time, it was to help the clamp get a better "bite"  and pull things into almost aligned...

And that was that...less than an hour in the shop....i suppose I could have tidied up the bench a bit...
Uhoh
"Name that Tool?"

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Clamps came off today...all 16 of them.   beltsander w/120 grit belt to level the feet and the glue joints...set the chest aside, for now...need to make some Pine cleats
Rolleyes

Need to cross cut this curvy board into 4 cleats...2 long and 2 short one...intend to rip things down to 1-1/2" width...or so...
Rolleyes

Since these will get glued and screwed in place...needed some counter bores done..
Winkgrin  

Then pilot holes drilled, and check for fit...

Close enough..then glue was added, and then some screws...with an assist from a clamp

Working from right to left...alignment is to the bottom edge of the rail...then repeat for the other long cleat..

Because when I install the short cleats, the screws on the ends of the long cleats, will get covered..

Once the short cleats are installed, and clamped ( gaps control will the screw and glue are getting done) i set the chest back onto the floor ( thing is getting heavy!) set the plywood panel on the saw...then set the chest on the plywood..

Squared to two edges, reach up, over, and into the inside of the chest ( with a LONG pencil) trace all the way around....to mark where to cut the plywood panel at...

Once the cleats are "cured" I can glue and screw this panel into place.....intend to have a layer of 1/4" Aromatic Red Cedar planks added to the panel....as soon as I get the ARC planks,,next week....
Next?   Something about gluing up a lid?

Stay tuned..
Laundry Detail last night....
Uhoh 

Since I was already down in the area, loading up the washer, and checking the dryer....I removed the c clamps from the cleats.    sat the chest on the floor, and installed glue and screws to attach the plywood bottom into place.....was a tight fit, too.     Used the rip fence as a way to push the panel all the way down, and into the glue....

Had to re-adjust the clutch on the drill-driver....first screw went too deep..
No 

Since I could get a better picture of the assembled chest, sans lid....
Winkgrin

And....

Then one the second dryer load-up, and hauling the 1st one upstairs....4 planks were hauled to the shop.....hands were to full to take the camera along,though
No 

By the time Dryer load #2 was done....the 4 planks were cross cut to rough length....and ripped to rough width....film later today....as all 4 will need the Stanley No. 7c to pay them a visit, later today..
Rolleyes

.First I need some room on my bench...as an invasion of Block Planes  has taken it over...

So...I'll have to go and put these all away, and see about two strips of Ash to make the bread board ends with.....might be somewhere within the stack of cut-offs?
Confused 

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Great thread, I love your build alongs. As a side note, I made my version of Norm's chest out of red cedar a number of years ago for my ex mother in law. My daughter now has possession of it.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Well, not as dramatic as "Clear for Action!" blaring out the ship's speakers...but..
Winkgrin

That should do the trick.   Selected one of the cut-offs, ripped it a couple times..

2 of these will get used on the ends of the lid, to make a bread board edge on each end....right now, 2 are acting as cauls...to keep a panel flat..

Then the four blanks for the lid's panel were cut to all the same length...and as square as I could...then the skinny "filler" was clamped to the side of the bench, using the leg vise, and a clamp...
Cool  

And the Stanley No.7c, Type 9 took a crack at being a jointer plane...worked both edges...had to enlist the Craftsman jack plane to help out....ends were a bit high on one edge, low on the other...a little spot removal?   No.7 was a bit too much plane, hard to balance on a 3/4" wide edge....changed planes..

For the 3 wider boards.   The old Auburn #81 did the rougher stuff....was very good at lowering high spots...then run the slightly heavier No. 6, type 10 until a decent shaving went the entire length...and rotate the board..repeat...and checking for gaps..

And worked on all 3 wider boards..

Then laid out the 4 boards on the tablesaw, to see how the grain will look...

Hmmm, filler strip needed a bit more work....got that done, rechecked for gaps, again....got out the pipe clamps...and did a "dance" with them.....they always seem to roll over, right when you NEED them to stand up straight.....while I'm spreading glue, mooshing the boards along into the glue....and tighten the clamps....adding a third clamp in the middle...then add the cauls along one end...

Those 2 bread board end blanks?   they are the cauls at the moment..

Since the jointer work is done...might as well send the fleet home..

Until they are needed, again. 

Might spent Sunday sanding the chest down to 220 grit...and try to clean up the lid's panel...when it comes out of the clamps..
Winkgrin 
Stay tuned...

BTW: How do I find out what colour she wants this...without her finding out WHAT her Christmas Present is going to be...?
Rolleyes
Other than getting everything up off the floor....more or less took the day off....
Rolleyes 

Seems when bad thunderstorms roll through here, we get a little creek going across the floor.  High winds here have been causing power outages in the area.....fon't need to be in a basement, if the lights should go out.  

Found out what flavour to stain the chest....trying to decide on adding a storage "bin" on one end.....doubt IF it will get it's own lid, though.....sliding dovetails?  We'll see what happens.

Maybe run the router around, with a small cove bit?    not sure about on the lid, though.  

may spend Monday on sander detail....?
Stay tuned
Winkgrin 

( And, this will count as Day #13....safer this way..
Rolleyes )
Day 14.....More of a power tool day in the shop....2 kind of saws, 2 different electric routers, couple of sanders...vs..2 planes....and 3 hours of shoptime..on a Monday
Raised
Confused
Winkgrin 

So, 1st item was to get the chest off the top of the tablesaw, set it down on the dry floor....finish sanding to 120 grit...and then the router #1

Both ends were done, then set the chest up on the bench..

And both the front and back was sanded and the cove bit run around some more,  was a bit tricky at the bottom of the feet..

Sanding drum on the Dremel helped to blend things together.....then set the chest back down on the floor...out of the way.  

Next...Seems the blank for the lid was still in the clamps, and WAS sitting under the chest....it could now be released from the clamps, and cauls...and plopped down on the bench..

Hmmm, we have work to do....so much so, I even put a new belt on the beltsander...I got things looking a bit better..then the jack plane took over..

Both across and with the grain, getting rid of most of the high spots...ends were a bit ragged looking, and the panel was a tad too long...we have ways

Not a fan of trimming big panels on the tablesaw, so I set up the fence on the panel, and trim the ends nice and square....rotate to the other end, cut both for length and for square.  Distance between the fence and the cut line is for the distance between the edge of the blade, and the right edge of the saw's plate...Set the SKIL saw back on a shelf..but not the fence...as I have more work for it to do..

fence is set so the straight cutter in the DeWalt #610 is rigth to the outside edge of the panel...I even had a plywood template set up, so I could repeat the cuts..

Rotate as needed to get a tongue on both ends...

Then trim the cauls to length, to make them the bread board ends.  Tablesaw and the fence were set up to mill a groove..took a while, no dado blade in the shop...aiming for a slip fit..

Then a bead of glue, and some clamps.  I used another caul to keep the panel flat, until the ends were safely installed....

then sweep up the mess... and close up shop...3 hours, on a Monday afternoon...
Uhoh 
Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Another day, another 3 hours in the shop.....almost like a job, now?

First "half" was all about the lid....trying to decide which will show, and which to be the underside....

First test fit....meh....had a few places to plane down...

Stanley No. 3, Type 11...acting as a smooth plane...worked on both faces of the lid...second test fit...

seemed to sit better with the "Underside" now the topside....didn't care for those square corners, though....we have ways...
Winkgrin

Small marking jig....then a Ground Round...

Front two corners like this, back two were barely touched.    Since the router still had the cove bit mounted...
Winkgrin  

I think that will do....other than a hinge, and a finish...
Confused 

But wait, there is a box to build, yet..
Rolleyes

Box parts....that wide plank will be a lid for the box...as soon as I resaw it down a bit..

And plane it smooth....

Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Box build?  There is to be a box inside this chest....and, when the main lid is raised, the box's lid will keep it raised.....
Need a 1 x 1 as a cleat...

just a couple screws and a dab of glue.   A 1/4" thick box bottom, notched to fit..

To install the box's front, I need a sliding dovetail socket...
Winkgrin

That "guide" will be the front of the box...fun part was then cutting a "tail" to match....and having the front the right length...

There was also a notch made into the box's front....for the lid's handle to reside it...

Lid was taking a little bit of work....ripped to the right width (counting the handle)  edges needed jointed...then the bandsaw cut out for the handle...

Just needs some hinges....will have to install those "barrel down"...will need to sand things smooth, once the clamps come off..

About here, I swept the floor, and closed the shop....3 hours was just enough, for one day...
Rolleyes

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
It's looking great. The young lady receiving it for Christmas is a fortunate individual.