Hand Applied Finish for Rift Sawn White Oak Kitchen Cabinets
My wife wants me to build new kitchen cabinets this winter, need about 15, and she had settled on rift sawn white oak. We want to do some test boards this weekend of various finishes. Any recommendations for nice durable satin finishes that I can apply by hand?
(11-03-2020, 02:10 PM)Fishing Dave Wrote: My wife wants me to build new kitchen cabinets this winter, need about 15, and she had settled on rift sawn white oak. We want to do some test boards this weekend of various finishes.  Any recommendations for nice durable satin finishes that I can apply by hand?

Arm-R-Seal.  And I can't believe I'm saying this, but a light wipe of BLO first, allowed to dry overnight, followed by several coats of ARS looks amazing.  A friend showed me some samples he made and I couldn't believe how much it improved the look.  

John
(11-03-2020, 02:10 PM)Fishing Dave Wrote: My wife wants me to build new kitchen cabinets this winter, need about 15, and she had settled on rift sawn white oak. We want to do some test boards this weekend of various finishes.  Any recommendations for nice durable satin finishes that I can apply by hand?

I like this Waterlox finish made from soybean oil.

https://www.waterlox.com/project-help/gu...17b4af35&q
A varnish made from soya oil like the Waterlox is generally not going to be as dark/amber as one made from linseed oil (ARS). It also won't darken as much over time, but it will still darken some. Just something to keep in mind. Either one would be very nice on white oak.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thank you all for the advice. Appreciate it.
Plain old Watco Danish Oil works pretty well for cabinets. I am not sure I would use it for a tabletop or anything that sees really heavy use, but I've used it for cabinets before with no problems. Easy to reapply as well.