Shrink wrapping & floating the Koryak kayak (2)
Video 
Last week I posted a video here about making a rarely made kayak, the Koryak. Since it's for display only, it is only the frame of the boat, unskinned. 
However...

I wanted to float it for at least a few minutes before it gets delivered, so I wrapped in in shrink wrap and duct tape and took it for a spin. Here is that video:

https://youtu.be/x_FGCcz_k4Q

( Here is the previous post about making the Koryak -- https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7358482 )

Thanks all for your interest in this boat!

Paul M
Pretty cool, Paul.  Thanks for the follow-up.

I showed my wife the video; she think's you're nuts for getting into that boat.  That's OK, she thinks I'm crazy, too.  Hasn't tossed me out, yet!
You noticed I was in a dry suit in 2 ft of water. Taking no chances!
I noticed the dry suit. How cold was the water?
Pretty cool! One day I hope to build a cedar strip kayak. I have the book and I scored enough knot free 20’ western red cedar to build it. Moved a couple of years ago and now have a covered space to work in. Just need to get through the wife’s wish list first.
John
There used to be a fellow on this forum by the name of Kudzu that sold skin on frame kits.  I always wanted to try building one but I was concerned about the nature of the waterways in my area.  There are a lot of trees and whatnot sticking up that might rip through the skin.  Particularly in the springs.
(11-05-2020, 07:43 AM)jstraw Wrote: Pretty cool!  One day I hope to build a cedar strip kayak.  I have the book and I scored enough knot free 20’ western red cedar to build it.  Moved a couple of years ago and now have a covered space to work in.  Just need to get through the wife’s wish list first.

I started one of those several years ago, Great Auk, by Nick Schade. You really have to commit yourself to completing or it gets away big time...I was building one with a friend. We both got our hulls completed and then life got in the way. Bottom line is they are complete, but I far underestimated the amount of time involved...
We used a mix of red cedar and cypress, was already beaded and coved...
Good luck!
(11-05-2020, 05:27 AM)WxMan Wrote: I noticed the dry suit.  How cold was the water?

Pretty cold. Mostly I wanted to stay dry.
(11-06-2020, 12:35 PM)stav Wrote: There used to be a fellow on this forum by the name of Kudzu that sold skin on frame kits.  I always wanted to try building one but I was concerned about the nature of the waterways in my area.  There are a lot of trees and whatnot sticking up that might rip through the skin.  Particularly in the springs.

Skin boats are plenty tough. Especially if you use nylon for the skin and a 2 part epoxy for the covering. Even the nylon/poly combination that I use is very strong.
(11-06-2020, 01:12 PM)brianwelch Wrote: I started one of those several years ago, Great Auk, by Nick Schade. You really have to commit yourself to completing or it gets away big time...I was building one with a friend. We both got our hulls completed and then life got in the way. Bottom line is they are complete, but I far underestimated the amount of time involved...
We used a mix of red cedar and cypress, was already beaded and coved...
Good luck!

Like any project I start, getting started and making a lot of initial progress is the easy part. The devil, as they say, is in the details.