1/2" Plywood
(11-06-2020, 10:30 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm originally from the Phil. area. That might be a possibility. Time to visit relatives

I now live in SW Mo.

Try Schaller Hardwood.   They have stores in Springfield and Popular Bluff.    They sell retail but it set up as a warehouse from where they ship to cabinet shops.    Go to their web site and look at the sheet goods/ plywood and they list many different types of 1/2" red oak, Popular Bluff is the main yard but they will ship it to Springfield if Springfield does not have it.  Roly http://www.schallerhardwood.com/
(11-09-2020, 11:43 AM)Roly Wrote: Try Schaller Hardwood.   They have stores in Springfield and Popular Bluff.    They sell retail but it set up as a warehouse from where they ship to cabinet shops.    Go to their web site and look at the sheet goods/ plywood and they list many different types of 1/2" red oak, Popular Bluff is the main yard but they will ship it to Springfield if Springfield does not have it.  Roly      http://www.schallerhardwood.com/

Thanks Roly. They're no farther away than any other place I've tried locally. I'll certainly give them a try.

Jim
Jim
(11-09-2020, 12:13 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: Thanks Roly. They're no farther away than any other place I've tried locally. I'll certainly give them a try.

Jim

Forgot to add to check prices as this is not the Home Depot grade plywood.  Roly
I believe it's Columbia Forest Products that has a plant in Pocahontas AR., not far from you.
Been some years since I've bought from that plant, but they used to sell seconds, every day, first come first serve. I bought 60 sheets of cherry there one trip. $20.00 a sheet. 11/16x49x97.
One side was fine, second side had sanding defects.
You just have to check to see what they have every day.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

MDF (medium density fiberboard)is basically sawdust/small chips and glue, pressed into a sheet. Plywood is thin sheets of wood (generally 1/8" or less thick) layered so that the grain of each sheet is perpendicular to the last. Regardless of thickness there's always an odd number of layers. MDF is dead flat, very smooth, very heavy, and quite stable unless it gets wet. It's also relatively inexpensive, Plywood comes in a variety of forms including a version called MDO (medium density overlay), cabinet grade, baltic birch (very thin sheets of wood), and several other forms...not to exclude the construction grade versions. The plywood is also rated according to the quality of the covering veneer (the outer skin). This could go on forever, but basically the choice of which to use really comes down to the intended purpose. There are i circumctances where each would be best.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-05-2020, 12:43 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You would be better served with veneered MDF.  The panels will be exactly 1/2"; more importantly, they will be flat and stay flat over time.  Glue them into your door frames and you will have a very rigid, stable door.  

FWIW, Columbia Purebond is OK, not great.  Columbia makes higher quality plywood than Purebond, at over $150/sheet when I bought some cherry a half dozen years ago, but even that isn't as consistent as veneered MDF.  

John

I don't MDF with veneer would save me that much $ and certainly would take more time. Plus the weight of MDF could but a bigger strain on the hinges, especially over time.

Jim
Jim