Promise, last bandsaw question
(11-10-2020, 12:07 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: The tension gauge on most consumer grade band saws are junk IMO. There are ways to tension blades more accurately using a digital caliper and some math. I have a Rikon 10-325 - there's a newer version with better guides. I would buy it again. Rikon does have sales a couple times a year. If I were really budget limited I'd consider Harbor Freight. Yeah there's going to be some tuning and fussing and it'll never be a Laguna or Powermatic but you wouldn't be paying for a Laguna or Powermatic. Personally I wouldn't buy less than I have now.

Never used a gauge or lever, always tensioned it to sound. I use an Irwin bar clamp to drop the upper wheel, replace the blade, then release the clamp. Always worked well enough for me.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Well, got my bandsaw. A local guy was upgrading his shop, lots of really good power tools for sale. He had a 14" Delta 2001 vintage, I bought it. $400 got me the bandsaw, mobile base, miter gauge, fence, and 15 blades. Some show a little rust, but most felt pretty sharp. Had to take it apart (saw from base) to fit in the Jeep, but went back together quickly and works well. A lot quieter than the 10" it replaced.

[Image: IMG_1394.png][Image: IMG_1395.png][Image: IMG_1396.png][Image: IMG_1397.png][Image: IMG_1398.png]

Thanks for all the great advice!
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Congrats, you'll be happy with it.
(11-13-2020, 07:13 AM)nodima Wrote: Congrats, you'll be happy with it.

Already started using it. I got choked up when the guy took my old saw, wasn't sure I was making the right decision, but after using this for half an hour I'm satisfied I made the right decision (for me).

I have a semi-off-topic question. I have to resaw some old lumber that looks like it's been pin-nailed. Can the bandsaw handle this? If not I can run it through the RAS, but I'll lose a lot more thickness that way.
Mike

If you have an older blade I’d use it. My 17” Grizzly with a 3/4 inch re-saw blade handles pin nails.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(11-13-2020, 12:28 PM)stoppy Wrote: If you have an older blade I’d use it. My 17” Grizzly with a 3/4 inch re-saw blade handles pin nails.

Thanks. Right now they're all older since they came as part of the purchase.
Mike